Courses & Training
Electronic Core Disaster Life Support course
The ADA has actively promoted the ability of dentists to participate in emergency response situations, based on each dentist’s clinical skills and medical knowledge, and with additional targeted training. As a member of the National Disaster Life Support Education Consortium™ (NDLSEC™) we have participated with a national coalition of professional organizations, academic centers, medical centers, government partners and corporations to provide program content input in a variety of National Disaster Life Support™ courses that provide this additional training.
One of these courses, Core Disaster Life Support (CDLS®), is now available online for dentists interested in learning the core concepts of disaster management. This electronic CDLS® course will allow dentists to be more effective in the recognition and response to medical disasters which will allow them to better assist in a disaster. Four hours of continuing education credits are available following successful completion of the course. There is no charge for this course
Core Disaster Life Support® (eCDLS™)
CDLS® is a nationally recognized all-hazards course designed to increase emergency responder awareness of basic skills, competencies, knowledge, and resources that are critical for a coordinated and effective local emergency response effort. Through the DISASTER Paradigm™, the course prepares first responders from all disciplines to play an effective role in disaster response. The electronic version, eCDLS™, will give first responders the flexibility to access this important training when and where it is convenient for them. The course comprises nine modules, a pre-test, and a post-test.
The four-hour course was developed with funding from the Department of Homeland Security by the AMA's Center for Public Health Preparedness and Disaster Response (CPHPDR).
The Course Requirements are as follows:
- This course is offered to the dental profession in a cooperative educational venture between the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Dental Association (ADA). The American Dental Association is an ADA CERP recognized provider.
- A score of 80 percent on the post-test is required to pass and to print your certificates.
- Please understand that due to limited seating (4,300 users) on the learning management system, by obtaining a username and password you are committing yourself to completing the course.
- sers must have Windows and Internet Explorer to use eCDLS™.
- You must complete the entire course to receive continuing education credits. When you have successfully completed the course, you will receive a certificate of training. To obtain a certificate for four continuing dental education credits, you must send a copy of the training certificate to the Council on Dental Practice via mail to 211 E. Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611; via fax to 312-440-2924; or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a verification statement from the American Dental Association of your continuing education units.
To access the eCDLS™ course, visit the following Web site: www.ncbrt.lsu.edu/elearn Please take the following steps to login:
- After loading the initial page, you must create a new username and password. Click the link that says "join now".
- Fill-out all fields of the “Sign-up page” and register your new username and password.
- Access the course by typing in your new username and password in the login box.
For technical help or any course matters, contact email@example.com, or call 1-866-221-1083.
We appreciate your participation in this course, and hope eCDLS™ will become an integral part in your education on disaster preparedness.