ADA Press Release
ADA Honors State and Local Dental Societies for their Outreach Programs
2008 Golden Apple Awards
CHICAGO, November 5, 2008—The American Dental Association (ADA) continues to honor state and local dental societies across the nation with the 2008 Golden Apple Awards. The Golden Apple Awards program, now in its 20th year, recognizes outstanding achievement in dental society activities and excellence in leadership.
The 2008 Golden Apple Awards will be presented through the end of the year to the following societies:
- Legislative Achievement - Nebraska Dental Association, "Fluoridation: Nature’s Cavity Fighter!" The Nebraska Dental Association received the award in the constituent society category with total membership of fewer than 1,000 dentists. The New Jersey Dental Association, "NJ’s New Dental Decision Law," received the award in the constituent society category with total membership of more than 1,000 dentists.
- Excellence in Membership Recruitment and Retention Activity - California Dental Association, "Member-Get-A-Member Program," for membership recruitment. San Antonio District Dental Society, "Pizza Party Phonothan," for membership retention.
- Excellence in Dental Health Promotion to the Public - Michigan Dental Association, "Want a Healthy Body? Start with a Healthy Mouth."
- Excellence in Member-Related Services/Benefits - Kansas Dental Association, "Communications in the Digital Age," received this award in the category with total membership of fewer than 1,000 dentists. Massachusetts Dental Society, "Massachusetts Dental Society Leadership Institute," received this award in the category with total membership of more than 1,000 dentists.
- Achievement in Dental School/Student Involvement in Organized Dentistry - Dallas County Dental Society, "Great Expectations Program."
- Inspiring Careers in Dental Education award - Dr. Leslie Heffez, University of Illinois, College of Dentistry, received the award in the predoctoral level category.
- Open Category - Georgia Dental Association, "Georgia Dental Association Law Day Program" received the award in the constituent category for its multi-faced Legislative Awareness (Law) Day program for members. The program was designed to inform and engage association members and state legislators in the Georgia Dental Association's activities.
- Open Category - Middlesex County (NJ) Dental Society, "Look Into the Future," received the award in the component category. The society's program was designed to foster professional camaraderie between current and new members.
Golden Apple Awards were also presented in June at the National Conference on the New Dentist in New Orleans. Dr. Peter Theodorou, New York State Dental Association, received the New Dentist Leadership Award. Dr. Irvin Silverstein, San Diego County Dental Society, received the Outstanding Leadership in Mentoring Award. Dr. Sammy Pak, Washington State Dental Association, received the New Dentists Legislative Leadership Award.
About the American Dental Association
The not-for-profit ADA is the nation's largest dental association, representing 157,000 dentist members. The premier source of oral health information, the ADA has advocated for the public's health and promoted the art and science of dentistry since 1859. The ADA's state-of-the-art research facilities develop and test dental products and materials that have advanced the practice of dentistry and made the patient experience more positive. The ADA Seal of Acceptance long has been a valuable and respected guide to consumer dental care products. The monthly The Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) is the ADA's flagship publication and the best-read scientific journal in dentistry. For more information about the ADA, visit www.ada.org. For more information on oral health, including prevention, care and treatment of dental disease, visit the ADA’s consumer website www.MouthHealthy.org.