ADA Press Release
ADA Honors State and Local Dental Societies for their Outreach Programs
2009 Golden Apple Awards
- Legislative Achievement — West Virginia Dental Association, “Building Dental Workforce Infrastructure through Legislative Initiative,” received the award in the constituent society category with a total membership of fewer than 1,000 dentists. The Indiana Dental Association, “Indiana Assignment of Benefit,” received the award for a constituent society with total membership of more than 1,000 dentists.
- Excellence in Membership Recruitment and Retention Activity – The Maryland State Dental Association, “The Maryland Dental Leadership Roundtable,” for membership recruitment.
- Excellence in Dental Health Promotion to the Public – The Livingston District (MI) Dental Society, “VINA Dental Clinic,” received the award for the component category. The North Carolina Dental Society, “NC Missions of Mercy Public Awareness,” received the award for the constituent category. • Excellence in Member-Related Services/Benefits —California Dental Association “CDA Leadership Education Conference and Regional Training” received the award for the dental society with total membership of more than 1,000 dentists.
- Outstanding Achievement in the Promotion of Dental Ethics— New York State Dental Association, “Ethics & Jurisprudence for the Dental Practitioner.”
- Achievement in Dental School/Student Involvement in Organized Dentistry — Indiana Dental Association, “Oral Health Policy Forum.”
- Open Category — Georgia Dental Association, “GDA 150th Anniversary,” received the award for the constituent category. The Nashville Dental Society, “Interfaith Dental Clinic,” received the award in the component category.
- Inspiring Careers in Dental Education award — Dr. Mark Ochs, University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine; Dr. Richard G. Stevenson, III, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Dentistry and John A. Molinari, PhD, University of Detroit-Mercy School of Dentistry. They all received the award for the predoctoral level category.
Golden Apple Awards were also presented at the ADA 23rd New Dentist Conference, which took place April 30-May 2 in Miami. Dr. Courtney Alexander, Texas Dental Association, received the New Dentist Leadership Award. Dr. Ethan Glickman, Middlesex County (NJ) Dental Society, received the Outstanding Leadership in Mentoring Award. Dr. Matt Niewald, Missouri Dental Association, received the New Dentist Legislative Leadership Award.
About the American Dental Association
The not-for-profit ADA is the nation's largest dental association, representing 157,000 dentist members. The premier source of oral health information, the ADA has advocated for the public's health and promoted the art and science of dentistry since 1859. The ADA's state-of-the-art research facilities develop and test dental products and materials that have advanced the practice of dentistry and made the patient experience more positive. The ADA Seal of Acceptance long has been a valuable and respected guide to consumer dental care products. The monthly The Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) is the ADA's flagship publication and the best-read scientific journal in dentistry. For more information about the ADA, visit www.ada.org. For more information on oral health, including prevention, care and treatment of dental disease, visit the ADA’s consumer website www.MouthHealthy.org.