The JCNDE wants to ensure all stakeholder groups have an opportunity to comment on the creation of the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE) during the development process and to have sufficient time to plan for the change. All stakeholders will be given ample advance warning before implementation.
Overall it is anticipated that development, validation and implementation of the INBDE will not occur prior to 2017. There is currently no set date for implementation. All final recommendations will be reviewed and approved by the JCNDE before implementation.
Students currently in dental school as of 2012, will not be impacted, assuming they complete dental school and the NBDE Part I and NBDE Part II within four years of admission.
Timeline for the INBDE
The CIE wants to make certain that all steps of the examination development process are given sufficient time and that all stakeholder groups have time to comment. Therefore, the CIE is currently planning detailed work one year in advance. As the project progresses, activities further into the future will be assigned specific dates and an implementation date will be set that allows all stakeholders sufficient notice.
The INBDE timeline will update periodically, please check back frequently.
2013 and Beyond
These items are grouped by topic and not implementation order and will be addressed before the new examination is implemented.
Communication methods with stakeholder groups:
- Updates from the CIE Chair
- Web site
- Documents circulated for comment
- CIE mail box for feedback on the INBDE
- Evaluation of item types to meet the needs of an integrated examination
- Development of new items types as needed
- Pretesting of items
- Sample of transitional and new item types available
Test Construction Committees
- Identify best structure for test construction committees
- Identify qualification for test constructors
- Recruit and train test constructors
- Test specifications
- Test format
- Delivery method for test
- Review and amendment of examination administrative policies and procedures
- Develop and validate scoring system
- Plan for students/candidates who have taken NBDE Part I but not NBDE Part II at time the INBDE is implemented
- Plan for students/candidates who have taken NBDE Part I and/or NBDE Part II and have not passed at the time the INBDE is implemented
- Develop pilot examination
- Administer pilot examination
- Analyze data
- Review and address test publishing and test administration issues with the delivery vendor
- Format examination for vendor delivery
- Begin to advertise time frame for live date two years in advance
- Set live date for the new examination, which is anticipated to be no sooner than 2017