Updates to SNODENT
The American Dental Association has updated the previous version of SNODENT:
- Eliminated the “Not Otherwise Specified” (NOS) designation.
- Identified “frequently used terms” and added terms from the ADA health history form.
- The ADA has also developed a new numeric code.
- Assigned concepts to hierarchies.
- Reviewed descriptions that were assigned to the concepts.
- Reviewed synonyms for the concepts.
- Developed a cross-walk from SNODENT to ICD-9 CM.
SNODENT now conforms to the “Vocabulary Desiderata”. The Desiderata identifies 12 characteristics that constitute a good vocabulary. Read more about the 12 characteristics.
SNODENT structure is made up of many concepts. It is not just diagnostic codes. It contains 18 categories divided between: “clinical findings,” “body structure,” “observable entity,” “physical objects,” “specimen,” “substances” etc. This allows SNODENT to be a comprehensive terminology for Electronic Dental Records (EDRs) necessary for the information exchange.