2013 Prevention Summit: Advancing America's Oral Health
On November 18–20, 2013, an unprecedented interdisciplinary and multi-sector summit on oral health was held in Chicago, IL. The 2013 Prevention Summit: Advancing America’s Oral Health was convened by the ADA in response to persistent oral health disparities across the United States and the recognition that we cannot drill, fill and extract our way out of this crisis without a fundamentally different approach; one that accentuates disease prevention.
Planned by representatives of eleven key stakeholder groups, the Summit brought together dental and non-dental health care professionals along with researchers, academicians, public health professionals, patient advocates, policymakers, and leaders from foundations, third-party payers, and industry. These individuals were joined by leaders of organized dentistry representing the national, state and local levels.
The Summit focused on prevention of oral health conditions, with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention, including risk factors that compromise overall health and wellness. Over the course of three days, participants identified clusters of initiatives that began to align around a broad-based, multi-pronged strategy to “redesign prevention” in the United States. This strategy will be further developed through ongoing, multi-stakeholder collaboration and will include a variety of population and community prevention efforts. It will offer multiple entry points for involvement, incorporate the unique contributions of diverse stakeholders, and create a revitalized prevention movement while remaining flexible to allow for learning, adaptation and ongoing improvement.
Materials Provided at the Summit
- 2013 Prevention Summit Agenda (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Program Booklet (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Sponsors (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Attendees by Stakeholder Group (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Pre-Summit Reading List (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Primer on Four Dental Conditions (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Four Framework Handouts (PDF)
- 2013 Prevention Summit Briefing Paper Issued December 7, 2013 (PDF)
- Experts Focus on Prevention at Historic Summit (Dec. 09, 2013)