ADA Advocacy for Fluoride and Fluoridation
The ADA works closely with state and local dental societies to promote the fluoridation of municipal water supplies at recommended levels. The ADA also supports capacity-building grants to help communities establish, upgrade, and maintain an effective public water fluoridation infrastructure.
Action for Dental Health
Action for Dental Health is the ADA's nationwide, community-based movement aimed at ending the dental health crisis in America.
Letters and Testimony
Letters and Testimony reflect the Association's position(s) on specific bills, regulations, and other policy issues, and are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
- August 22, 2014—Letter (PDF) urging members of Congress to reflect on the public health benefits of community water fluoridation as the practice nears its 70th anniversary.
- June 18, 2013—Letter (PDF) commenting on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) draft evidence report and recommendation statements on primary care fluoride supplementation for children from birth through age five years.
- June 11, 2012—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the U.S. Surgeon General to issue a statement acknowledging the continuing public health role of fluoridation in enhancing the oral health of all Americans.
- June 30, 2011—Letter (PDF) commenting on two Fluoride Dose Response and Relative Source Contribution documents prepared by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- February 14, 2011—Letter (PDF) commenting on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendation to set the level for optimally fluoridated water at 0.7 parts per million.
- January 10, 2011—Press release addressing the ADA evidence-based clinical recommendations on the intake of fluoride from reconstituted infant formula and the prescription of dietary fluoride supplements for caries prevention.
- January 7, 2011—Press release commending the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) proposal to recalibrate the level of fluoride it considers optimal for drinking water.
Dental Society Resources
The ADA Department of State Government Affairs (DSGA) offers resources to help state and local dental societies benefit from the best practices and lessons learned in other states and municipalities.
For additional information or to request assistance, please contact the DSGA at 312.440.2525 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
STAY INFORMED about the latest legislative and regulatory happenings.
- Subscribe to the monthly e-publication, Government and Public Affairs Update.
- Access the State Legislative Report (members only).
- Subscribe to the RSS feed for ADA News Today.
- Learn about legislative and regulatory issues that could affect dentists as practitioners, employers, and consumers.
TAKE ACTION by talking to your legislators.