Diet and Nutrition
The ADA works closely with lawmakers, public health leaders, and others to encourage consumers to maintain balanced, nutritious diets that contribute to sound oral health. This includes maintaining and, in some cases, enhancing parts of several federal nutrition and food assistance programs.
Current Policies (PDF) is the latest published edition of major policies and positions adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
The ADA is calling on policy makers to:
- Continue gathering the clinically relevant evidence and information concerning associations between diet, nutrition, and oral health.
- Require federal nutrition and food assistance programs to include an oral health education component, with an emphasis on brushing twice a day, flossing once a day, limiting consumption of sugary snacks and beverages, and seeing the dentist regularly.
- Leverage school nutrition programs to discourage consumption of sugary foods and beverages on school grounds.
- Leverage maternal and infant health programs to promote healthy breastfeeding practices.
- Carefully monitor how companies market sugary foods and beverages to children and young adults, especially on school grounds.
ADA Members may also access the 2012 report (PDF) of the Council on Access, Prevention, and Interprofessional Relations ad hoc advisory committee on nutrition and oral health.
Action for Dental Health
Action for Dental Health is the ADA's nationwide, community-based movement aimed at ending the dental health crisis in America.
Letters and Testimony
Letters and Testimony reflect the Association's position(s) on specific bills, regulations, and other policy issues, and are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
- June 2, 2014—Letter (PDF) addressing the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed rule updating the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels for conventional foods and dietary supplements.
- April 28, 2014—Letter (PDF) addressing implementation of the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) rule governing the nutrition standards for all foods sold on school grounds.
- October 28, 2013—Letter (PDF) addressing the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) interim final rule governing the nutrition standards for all foods sold on school grounds.
- April 8, 2013—Letter (PDF) addressing the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) proposed nutrition standards for all foods sold on school campuses.
- December 18, 2012—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the House Committee on Agriculture to defend the SNAP-Ed program during floor debate over H.R. 6083, the Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2012.
- September 13, 2012—Statement on the New York City mayor's proposal to ban the purchase of large-sized sugary beverages.
- July 23, 2012—Coalition letter (PDF) calling for the Surgeon General to detail the current knowledge about the relationship(s) between specific dietary practices and oral diseases.
Dental Society Resources
The ADA Department of State Government Affairs (DSGA) offers resources to help state and local dental societies benefit from the best practices and lessons learned in other states and
For additional information or to request assistance, please contact the DSGA at 312.440.2525 or email@example.com.
STAY INFORMED about the latest legislative and regulatory happenings.
- Subscribe to the monthly e-publication, Government and Public Affairs Update.
- Access the State Legislative Report (members only).
- Subscribe to the RSS feed for ADA News Today.
- Learn about legislative and regulatory issues that could affect dentists as practitioners, employers, and consumers.
TAKE ACTION by talking to your legislators.
1111 14th Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
State Government Affairs
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611