Diet and Nutrition
The ADA works closely with lawmakers, public health leaders, and others to encourage consumers to maintain balanced, nutritious diets that contribute to sound oral health. This includes maintaining and, in some cases, enhancing parts of several federal nutrition and food assistance programs.
The ADA is calling on lawmakers to:
- Require all schools participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) to impose strong nutrition standards for all foods sold on school grounds, and place limits on marketing sugary foods and beverages to children (i.e., "pouring rights" contracts).
- Strengthen breastfeeding education and support programs for those enrolled in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
- Enhance support for state-administered nutrition education services for those enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP-Ed).
- Fund additional research on associations between diet, nutrition, and oral health.
- Require public nutrition education programs to include oral health component, with an emphasis on brushing twice a day, flossing once a day, limiting consumption of sugary snacks and beverages, and seeing the dentist regularly.
- Carefully monitor how companies market sugary foods and beverages to children.
(PDF) contains major policies adopted by the American Dental Association House of Delegates, except for policies that appear in the Association's Constitution and Bylaws and Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct. Other actions of the House which are generally more directive in nature are not included as major policy.
Letters and Testimony
- June 2, 2014—Letter (PDF) addressing the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed rule updating the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels for conventional foods and dietary supplements.
- April 28, 2014—Letter (PDF) addressing implementation of the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) rule governing the nutrition standards for all foods sold on school grounds.
- October 28, 2013—Letter (PDF) addressing the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) interim final rule governing the nutrition standards for all foods sold on school grounds.
- April 8, 2013—Letter (PDF) addressing the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) proposed nutrition standards for all foods sold on school campuses.
- December 18, 2012—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the House Committee on Agriculture to defend the SNAP-Ed program during floor debate over H.R. 6083, the Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2012.
- September 13, 2012—Statement on the New York City mayor's proposal to ban the purchase of large-sized sugary beverages.
- July 23, 2012—Coalition letter (PDF) calling for the Surgeon General to detail the current knowledge about the relationship(s) between specific dietary practices and oral diseases.
Action for Dental Health
Action for Dental Health is the ADA’s nationwide, community-based movement aimed at ending the dental health crisis in America.
1111 14th Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
State Government Affairs
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611