The ADA provides technical support to help state dental societies advance their respective policy agendas. This includes ensuring professional licensure by state dental boards is consistent with the highest quality standards of the dental profession.
Advances in dental research, education, and training make dentistry an ever evolving profession—and will naturally require adjustments to the core competencies and associated licensure requirements for practicing dentists. Licensure issues that commonly arise at the state level include, among others:
- Basic competency requirements.
- Continuing education requirements.
- Authority of state dental boards.
- State dental board examination standards and procedures.
- Guidelines for licensure by examination.
- Guidelines for licensure by credentials.
- Licensing dental specialties.
- Licensing volunteer dental professionals.
- Licensing internationally trained dentists.
- Licensure mobility across jurisdictions.
The Association's priorities are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) (Members Only) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
Dental Society Resources
The ADA Department of State Government Affairs (DSGA) offers resources to help state and local dental societies benefit from the best practices and lessons learned in other states and municipalities.
For additional information or to request assistance, please contact the DSGA at 312.440.2525 or email@example.com.
STAY INFORMED about the latest legislative and regulatory happenings.
- Subscribe to the monthly e-publication, Government and Public Affairs Update.
- Access the State Legislative Report (members only).
- Subscribe to the RSS feed for ADA News Today.
- Learn about legislative and regulatory issues that could affect dentists as practitioners, employers, and consumers.
TAKE ACTION by talking to your legislators.
State Government Affairs
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611