Science and Dental Research
As a science-driven organization, the ADA works closely with lawmakers, dental schools, scientific organizations, and others to ensure federal research agencies are well funded, their research investments reflect the needs of the dental profession, and the knowledge gained advances the oral health of the American public.
- Identifying critical issues needing scientific exploration.
- Supporting opportunities for the dental research community.
- Maintaining and adequate supply of well-trained dental researchers.
- Facilitating the open exchange of scholarly research.
- Maintaining the integrity of the peer-review process.
- Funding and maintaining the Institute-level status of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR).
The Association's priorities are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
Letters and Testimony
- August 18, 2015—Comments (PDF) on the National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) proposed research initiatives for fiscal year 2017.
- August 14, 2015—Comments (PDF) on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) proposed framework for the 5-year NIH-Wide Strategic Plan.
- June 25, 2015—Comments (PDF) on the Interagency Committee on Human Nutrition Research National Nutrition Research Roadmap 2015-2020.
- May 8, 2015—Comments (PDF) on the Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC).
- April 29, 2015—Testimony (PDF) urging a House Appropriations Committee panel to fund more research examining the relationship between diet, nutrition, and oral health.
- September 16, 2014—Letter (PDF) commenting on the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) proposed research initiatives for fiscal year 2016.
- January 30, 2014—Letter (PDF) commenting on the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) draft strategic plan to guide the Institute's research efforts from 2014-2019.
Letters and Testimony reflect the Association's position(s) on specific bills, regulations, and other policy issues, and are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
STAY INFORMED about the latest legislative and regulatory happenings.
- Subscribe to the monthly e-publication, Government and Public Affairs Update.
- Access the State Legislative Report (members only).
- Subscribe to the RSS feed for ADA News Today.
- Learn about legislative and regulatory issues that could affect dentists as practitioners, employers, and consumers.
TAKE ACTION by talking to your legislators.
1111 14th Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
State Government Affairs
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611