e-mail Print Share

Board Insurance

Student Professional Liability Insurance

It is important to consider insurance protection against potential liability that may arise when you perform clinical services during dental training and prepare to take your clinical board exams. Most licensing jurisdictions will require evidence of professional liability (dental malpractice) insurance coverage. Several of the testing agencies now provide insurance coverage for candidates.

Council of Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA)
Per CITAexam.com, candidates will no longer be required to obtain professional liability insurance before being allowed to take a CITA dental or dental hygiene examination. CITA has purchased a blanket Professional Liability Insurance policy that covers all dental and dental hygiene candidates, and their assistants, for all CITA examinations. The cost of that coverage is included in CITA’s examination fee.

Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS)
Per CRDTS.org, insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 / $3,000,000 is required. The Medical Protective Company of Fort Wayne, IN, in cooperation with CRDTS, will provide complementary professional liability coverage, in the required amount, for all candidates and their dental assistants taking the patient based portions of this examination during the current academic school year. Candidates must submit the Student Dental Board Coverage Application with their initial application for patient-based portions of the examination. This application for coverage will apply to all CRDTS licensing exams a candidate may have to take for a period of 12 months.

North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners
Per NERB candidate manual, insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 / $3,000,000 is required for all candidates. CNA, through the Professional Protector Plan administered by Brown and Brown, Inc., Tampa, Florida will provide complimentary professional liability coverage for all candidates and their dental assistants taking the patient based portions of NERB Clinical Examinations in Dentistry during calendar year 2014.

Western Regional Examining Board (WREB)
Per WREB.org, CNA Insurance Company, through the Professional Protector Plan in cooperation with WREB, will extend WREB professional liability coverage with the limit amounts of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 for the patient-based portion of the calendar year 2014 dental exam at no charge to you. WREB will forward the names and addresses of all candidates to CNA.

Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA)
According to SRTA, malpractice Insurance is provided for all candidates through SRTA's professional liability insurance company at no additional charge. CNA Insurance Company extends SRTA's professional liability coverage to candidates with the limit of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 for the patient-based portion of the calendar year 2013 SRTA clinical examination in Dentistry. Candidates must complete a form to request coverage. Contact SRTA or visit SRTA.org for more information.

Delaware Examination
Delaware requires that candidates have proof of one million dollars worth of insurance in order to be admitted to the examination. Contact Delaware to verify.

Florida Examination
As a service to board-exam candidates the Florida Dental Association, through FDA Services Inc., offers the malpractice insurance required to take the exam. Application forms are available through Florida dental schools, FDAS or online. Senior dental students receive the insurance at no cost. Other applicants pay a $15 fee. Once the application form is completed and returned to FDAS, a certificate of insurance is issued.

OSCE - Canadian Examination
Since no patients are used, insurance may not be applicable. Information was not available on insurance requirements for the OSCE examination.

Insurance Options

ADA resources
To assist dental students in purchasing malpractice insurance, the ADA Council on Members Insurance and Retirement Programs provides the Directory of Professional Liability Insurers exclusively for ASDA and ADA members. For additional assistance, contact Council staff at 800.621.8099 ext. 2885.

Dental school insurance
Candidates who take the exam in the same state as their dental school may be covered by the liability insurance offered through your school. Talk with your school insurance provider to find out if coverage is included for your clinical examination.