The Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) works to maintain the highest professional and ethical standards in the nation's dental schools and programs.
CODA employs a collaborative peer review accreditation process to evaluate the quality of over 1,300 dental education programs nationwide, including dental schools, specialty programs, clinical fellowships and allied dental training programs.
How Accreditation Works
The accreditation process begins when a sponsoring institution submits an application to CODA. The institution then completes a comprehensive self-analysis and self-study report detailing its resources, curriculum, policies and operational standards.
The next step is an on-site review conducted by CODA team members selected for their expertise in the program area. They conduct interviews with administrators, instructors, staff and students to verify information in the self-study and ensure that the program meets minimum accreditation standards.
The CODA team members then write a detailed site visit report based on their findings and share it with both the sponsoring institution and the Commission. The Commission meets twice a year (usually January and July) to review site visit reports and make accreditation decisions.
All accredited programs receive a follow-up site review every seven years, except for programs in the specialty of oral and maxillofacial surgery, which are reviewed every five years.
Staff List and Contact Information
The following staff may be contacted for additional information about the Commission and its activities at 800.621.8099 or 312.440.4653.
Dr. Sherin Tooks, director, x2940
Allied Dental Education Offices
Ms. Patrice Renfrow, manager, x2695
- Dental assisting education
- Dental laboratory technology education
- Dental hygiene education
Advanced Education Offices
Ms. Jennifer Snow, manager, x2714
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics
Ms. Catherine Baumann, manager, x2672
- Dental public health
- Oral and maxillofacial pathology
- Oral and maxillofacial radiology
- Pediatric dentistry
- Advanced site visits
- Advanced site visitors
Ms. Peggy Soeldner, manager, x2788
- Advanced education in general dentistry
- General practice residency programs
- Advanced general dentistry education programs in dental anesthesiology
- Advanced general dentistry education programs in oral medicine
- Advanced general dentistry education programs in orofacial pain
Predoctoral Dental Education Office
Dr. Catherine A. Horan, manager, x2721
- International Accreditation Program
- Predoctoral dental education
- Comprehensive dental school site visits
- Predoctoral site visitors
Accredited Program Information
Telephone: U.S. 312.440.4653
American Dental Association
Commission on Dental Accreditation
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611