e-mail Print Share

National Board Dental Examinations

Important Note Concerning NBDE Part II Endodontics Terminology

Although the new endodontic terms adopted by the American Association of Endodontists were anticipated to be incorporated into the NBDE Part II in 2012, technical issues were encountered that caused an unexpected delay. These terms will now be implemented in 2013. During this transitionary period, it is recommended that individuals become knowledgeable of both sets of terms, because individual researchers, practitioners, and existing textbooks can communicate information using either set of terms. The NBDE Part II Guide (PDF) has been updated to reflect this change.

12/5/12 UPDATE: Based on feedback from test constructors, the American Association of Endodontists has provided the Joint Commission with an updated chart (PDF) to assist students who are currently taking NBDE Part II.

The chart is consistent with the perspective that NBDE Test Constructors took in handling endodontic terminology when writing questions for the NBDE Part II. Current NBDE Part II test forms present questions using the older terminology.

As soon as the new terms are implemented, this webpage will provide appropriate notification.

National Board Examinations

The purpose of the Part I, Part II, and Dental Hygiene examinations is to assist state boards in determining qualifications of dentists/dental hygienists who seek licensure to practice dentistry/dental hygiene. These examinations assess the ability to understand important information from basic biomedical and dental/dental hygiene sciences and also the ability to apply such information in a problem-solving context.

Specific dental and dental hygiene licensure requirements vary among jurisdictions, but all jurisdictions have three basic requirements: an educational requirement, a written examination requirement and a clinical examination requirement. You must complete all three for basic licensure requirements.

Before you can apply to take any of the examinations, you must obtain a DENTPIN®. For more information on DENTPIN, click here.