Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Partnerships and Commissions
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

Accreditation and Licensure

The American Dental Association provides information on recognized, creditable international programs for enhancing professional skills. The Association also offers information for international dentists who are interested in practicing in the United States.

Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP)

The ADA offers certification and recognition of continuing education programs in the United States and around the world. The program has established standards for continuing education so that dentists can choose select continuing education programs with confidence. Institutions and organizations must apply for recognition and meet 15 standards of the program. In 2003, the FDI World Dental Federation became the first internationally based continuing education (CE) provider to be granted ADA CERP recognition. View the current ADA CERP recognized providers and learn more about obtaining ADA CERP recognition for a continuing education program.

Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)

The Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredits dental schools, advanced dental education programs and allied dental education programs within the United States. CODA develops and administers standards to ensure quality and continued improvement of dental education programs. CODA offers fee-based consultation and accreditation services to established international pre-doctoral dental education programs. Learn more about the international accreditation process.

Licensure for International Dentists

The ADA offers information for internationally trained dentists who are interested in practicing in the United States. Licensure in the United States is at the state-level and varies from state to state. The Guide for International Dentist: The State Dental Licensure Process is a valuable resource that is available as a downloadable e-book from the ADA Catalog. In addition, the American Student Dental Association (ASDA) offers a number of valuable tips on the licensure process.

Nonpracticing Dentist Membership

If you are dentist with a dental degree (from any country) residing in the U.S. or its territories, do not hold a U.S. dental license, nor have a revoked dental license, are not receiving compensation for delivering patient care and are ineligible for any other type of membership in the ADA, you may be eligible for membership as a nonpracticing dentist.