Electronic Dental Records (EDR) Implementation
1. What should I look for in an Electronic Dental Record (EDR) Solution?
Every dental practice has different work flow, thus their needs may differ. Ideally, a solution in which Electronic Dental Records (EDR), Dental Imaging, and Practice management operate on a single platform often works much more smoothly than interfacing standalone products.
2. What steps do I take to help ensure the successful implementation of an EDR in my busy dental practice?
- Assess your practice readiness, operation and future goals.
- Create a business plan that will help your practice to increase outcomes and achieve goals.
- Know your dental practice work flow and efficiencies.
- Identify and select the right vendor for you.
- Review the contract with the vendor carefully with a qualified attorney.
- Create an implementation action plan.
- If your practice is a HIPAA covered entity, conduct a risk assessment and update your policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a business continuity plan.
- Communicate the implementation milestones openly to your staff.
- Work closely with your EDR vendor to train your staff.
- Test the system.
- Finalize the rollout go live strategy.
- Plan a realistic Go Live Date.
American Dental Association
Department of Dental Informatics
ADA business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. U.S. Central Time.