Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Partnerships and Commissions
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

Dental Benefits and Medical Loss Ratios Webinar

Presented by the ADA’s Center for Dental Benefits, Coding and Quality and the Department of State Government Affairs

Nov. 14, 2016, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. CT

In this webinar you will hear from two states, Washington and California, that have passed legislation requiring dental plans to annually disclose certain financial information and from another state, Massachusetts that is pending similar legislation. There will be on open and interactive discussion on the benefits of passing such legislation and the collaborative efforts involved in doing so. If you are a state dental society executive director, legislative or dental benefits staff, you will not want to miss this webinar.

Register now

The Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) provision of the Affordable Care Act requires most health insurance companies that cover individuals and small businesses to spend at least 80 percent of their premium income on health care claims and quality improvement, leaving the remaining 20 percent for administration, marketing and profit. The MLR threshold is higher for large group plans, which must spend at least 85 percent of premium dollars on health care and quality improvement. Under health care reform, health insurers must publicly report the portion of premium dollars spent on health care and quality improvement and other activities in each state they operate. Insurers failing to meet the applicable MLR standard must pay rebates to consumers. Unfortunately, this requirement does not apply to stand-alone dental plans.

This is your opportunity to hear the latest on efforts to implement MLR legislation for dental plans at the state level. You will hear from the following state dental society staff:

  • Greg Johnson, executive director, Illinois State Dental Society
  • Megan Allred, legislative advocate, California Dental Association
  • Mellani McAleenan, vice president of government affairs, Washington State Dental Association
  • Patrick, J. Quinlan, esq., representing Rhode Island Dental Association
  • Kevin Monteiro, director, government affairs, Massachusetts Dental Society

We look forward to your participation!