Log on for volunteer opportunities
March 05, 2012
Dental professionals who seek an adventure that combines charitable dentistry and international travel can log on to http://internationalvolunteer.ada.org and click on the Volunteer Connection link to explore volunteer opportunities outside the U.S.
Each listing links to the individual program website, where users can find detailed information on volunteer requirements, costs and how to apply.
Six programs seeking volunteers for 2012 include:
- Belize Mission Project seeks dentists, hygienists, assistants and lab professionals for trips Oct. 26-Nov. 3 and Nov. 3-11. Visit www.belizemissionproject.com or call Dr. Frank Whipps at 1-618-532-1821 for additional information.
- Flying Doctors of America seeks dentists for a mission trip to Guatemala May 26-June 2. For more information visit www.fdoamerica.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Volunteers Overseas seeks dentists to provide clinical and didactic training for oral health education program sites in Cambodia, Honduras, Laos, Nicaragua, Peru, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Samoa and Tanzania. Assignments can range from one to four weeks. For more details, visit www.hvousa.org.
- International Medical Relief seeks dental professionals to volunteer for several mission trips. Trips include: June 9-16 to Haiti; July 19-29 to Peru; Aug. 2-12 to Kenya; Sept. 1-9 to Haiti; Oct. 13-20 to Romania; Nov. 1-11 to Cambodia; and Dec. 27-Jan. 3, 2013, to Haiti. Visit www.internationalmedicalrelief.org for details.
- The Pacific Partnership 2012 and New Horizons 2012 seek dental volunteers to provide care for civilians with the U.S. Navy and Air Force. Pacific Partnership volunteers can travel via a USNS Mercy Hospital ship that leaves San Diego for Pearl Harbor, Guam, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia in late April. New Horizons volunteers can embark on three two-week humanitarian missions in Peru in June and July.
- Vets With A Mission seeks volunteers for a trip to Vietnam June 20-July 6. Visit www.vetswithamission.org and click on the Upcoming Trips tab to learn more.