Dental Medicaid report available
May 21, 2012
The ADA Health Policy Resources Center released a new report titled “Dental Medicaid—2012.”
This report consists of a review of the dental Medicaid literature organized in terms of seven major policy questions or issues:
- Where do children covered by Medicaid receive dental services?
- What methods are most effective to increase utilization?
- What methods are used to monitor the provision of Medicaid dental services to children?
- What is known about dentist participation in the Medicaid program?
- What is the impact of reimbursement rates on state Medicaid dental expenditures?
- The delivery of dental services to Medicaid children through managed care organizations.
- Nondentist providers of dental services.
- What barriers continue to hinder state initiatives to improve access to Medicaid dental services?
The report focuses on dental services provided to children under the Medicaid program but also includes sections on the Children’s Health Insurance Program and Medicaid dental programs for adults.
This report is an extension of earlier work published in 2003 by the ADA Health Policy Resources Center entitled, “Medicaid and Dental Care for Children: A Review of the Literature.”
This report is available as a free download at www.ada.org/economics.