CE Online course helps with new HIPAA rules
July 15, 2013
New rules under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act require covered dental practices to make changes to how they comply with the law.
The new rules took effect March 26, and dental practices must be in compliance with most of the new rules by Sept. 23. ADA CE Online is offering a new online course to assist dental practices with compliance. Dental Practice HIPAA Compliance: An Overview of Changes in the 2013 Omnibus Final Rule was developed by the ADA's legal division and will be offered by ADA CE Online.
The course, which will award participants one hour of continuing education credit, will give a brief history of HIPAA; discuss 2013 final rule changes to HIPAA privacy, security, breach notification and enforcement that are most likely to affect dental practices; describe resources; and how to access the rules. It will also help dentists understand what is required of their practices, including:
- revising the Notice of Privacy Practices and providing the new notice to patients;
- updating breach notification policies and procedures;
- including the new provisions in business associate agreements and revising your existing agreements;
- obtaining written patient authorization before making certain marketing communications or selling patient information.
- For more information on HIPAA, visit Privacy. To take the CE Online course, visit ADACE online.org.