ADA Summer Seminar Series sets sights on cone-beam CT course
March 18, 2013
3-D: An attendee views a cone-beam computed tomography image at the 2011 ADA Annual Session.
To provide dentists with the most up-to-date information on the effective and efficient use of cone-beam computed tomography, the ADA is holding a Summer Seminar Series course at Association Headquarters June 15, Basic Users Cone-Beam CT (Level 1).
The course will identify the principles behind CBCT, including CBCT image and technique selection; reducing radiation risk; understanding 3-D anatomical variations; recognizing key pathological processes; and the process of CBCT interpretation and reporting.
The speakers include:
• Dr. Allan G. Farman—clinician, researcher and educator in oral and maxillofacial radiology and immediate past president of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology;
• Dr. Maria Mora—oral and maxillofacial radiologist at BeamReaders in Sacramento, Calif. She is a diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology and chair of the AAOMR continuing education committee.
• Dr. Christos Angelopoulos—ABOMR diplomate, maxillofacial radiology consultant at James J. Peters VA Medical Center in New York City and AAOMR executive director.
By the course's conclusion, participants will be able to:
• understand the basic principles of CBCT;
• identify the risks associated with ionizing radiation and how to minimize exposure;
• recognize when to prescribe CBCT scans based upon high-yield criteria and minimized radiation dose;
• review associated anatomy and the basics of pathology;
• discuss basic interpretation to create a report of CBCT images and identify when to refer for a second opinion or over-read;
• understand CBCT technique tips;
• recognize errors and artifacts.
The one-day course begins at 8 a.m. on June 15 and concludes at 5 p.m. Registration fees (which include continental breakfast, lunch and snack) are $595 for ADA members and ADA member guest/staff; and $795 for nonmembers and nonmember guest/staff.
Those interested can register through June 10 by calling the ADA Member Service Center at 312.440.2500 Monday -Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central Time. American Express, MasterCard and Visa are accepted.
For more information, visit ADA.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.