Get hands-on CE at Annual Session
September 16, 2013
New Orleans—If you are looking for hands-on continuing education, it's not too late to register for a variety of workshops at the ADA Annual Session Oct. 31-Nov. 3.
Cadaver course: Participants at last year’s ADA Annual Session practice biopsy techniques during a hands-on cadaver course at the Moscone Center in San Francisco Oct. 18, 2012. Photos by EZ Event Photography
Hands on: Dr. Joseph Massad shows prosthodontics techniques during a 2012 workshop at the ADA Annual Session in San Francisco.
There are still spots available for the ADA's innovative Hands-On Cadaver Workshops. Seven three-hour cadaver workshops will be held at the Louisiana State University Health Science Center.
“The facility at LSU will allow participants and instructors to maximize all of the teaching tools available in a true clinical learning application,” said Dr. Alan W. Budenz, clinical director in 2012, and the presenter of one of the workshops. “This is not theoretical information; it is focused on improving your daily practice of dentistry.”
• Crown Lengthening Workshop: A Hands-On Cadaver Course, by Dr. Jon Suzuki, Oct. 31, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. (course 5230);
• Soft Tissue Grafting with Autogenous and Allogenic Tissue—A Hands-On Cadaver Course, by Dr. Peter Shatz, Oct. 31, 3-6 p.m. (course 5231);
• Anatomy of the Masticatory System: Clinical Application and Dissection—A Hands-On Cadaver Course, by Dr. Henry Gremillion, Nov. 1, 8:30-11:30 a.m. (course 6230);
• Mini Dental Implants: A Hands-On Cadaver Course, by Raymond Choi, Nov. 1, 2-5 p.m. (course 6231);
• Cadaver Dissection of the TMJ and Associated Structures, by Dr. Mark Piper, Nov. 2, 8:30-11:30 a.m. (course 7230);
• Local Anesthesia Human Cadaver Dissection Workshop, by Dr. Mel Hawkins and Dr. Alan Budenz, Nov. 2, 2-5 p.m. (course 7231);
• Detection and Diagnosis of Oral Lesions for the General Practitioner: A Hands-On Cadaver Course, by Dr. Bill Carpenter and Dr. Homer Asadi, Nov. 3, 8:30-11:30 a.m. (course 8230).
Although the advance registration deadline has passed, fees for the cadaver courses haven't increased. Each course is $795 and includes shuttle transportation to and from LSU and light snacks. Shuttles pick up participants from the convention center 45 minutes before the start time and depart LSU 15 minutes after the end of each workshop.
Other hands-on workshop options planned for the Annual Session include:
• The Ultimate Bonding Experience Workshop, by Dr. Bud Mopper, Oct. 31, 8-10:30 a.m. (course 5209) or 2-4:30 p.m. (course 5219), $315 per person;
• Crown Lengthening Workshop, by Dr. Timothy Hempton, Nov. 1, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (course 6223) or 2-6 p.m. (course 6224), $315 per person;
• Utilizing Laser Technology in a Periodontal Environment, by Dr. Samuel Low, Nov. 2, 8-10:30 a.m. (course 7203) or 2-4:30 p.m. (course 7213), $315.
Other selected fee and free courses still have openings as well. Visit ADA.org/session for more information or to register for the Annual Session.