ADEAGies Foundation announces 2015 Gies Awards recipients
December 10, 2014
— The American Dental Education Association's ADEAGies Foundation announced Dec. 2 the nine recipients of its annual William J. Gies Awards for Vision, Innovation and Achievement.
The recipients will be honored March 9, 2015, in conjunction with the 2015 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Boston.
"The Gies awards are our chance to honor the women and men who have dedicated their careers to educating students and to celebrate our partners working to create a new health care norm where oral health is inextricably linked to overall health," said Dr. Richard Valachovic, president of the ADEAGies Foundation and president and CEO of ADEA.
The award is named after William J. Gies, Ph.D., a Columbia University biochemistry professor and founder of its College of Dental Medicine.
In 1926, Dr. Gies published "The Gies Report, Dental Education in the United States and Canada," a landmark report that established the importance of dentistry as a healing science and an essential component of higher education in the health professions.
The award honors individuals and organizations exemplifying dedication to the highest standards of vision, innovation and achievement in dental education, research and leadership.
The 2015 honorees are:
- Carol A. Aschenbrener, M.D., Association of American Medical Colleges, Outstanding Achievement by a Public or Private Partner.
- Dr. Walter C. Guralnick, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Outstanding Innovation by a Dental Educator.
- Dr. Stuart M. Hirsch, New York University College of Dentistry, Outstanding Achievement by a Dental Educator.
- Dr. Peter J. Polverini, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Outstanding Vision by a Dental Educator.
- Dr. Eduardo D. Rodriguez, New York University Langone Medical Center, Outstanding Innovation by a Dental Educator.
- Dr. Jeanne Craig Sinkford, American Dental Education Association, Outstanding Vision by a Dental Educator.
- The Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine Program, Drexel University College of Medicine, Outstanding Vision by a Public or Private Partner.
- Tufts Dental Facilities Serving Individuals with Disabilities, Outstanding Achievement by an Academic Dental Institution.
- University of Manitoba Faculty of Dentistry, Outstanding Innovation by an Academic Dental Institution.
"The dental health professions are forever changed by the work and commitment of the 2015 award recipients, and we are so pleased to recognize them in Dr. Gies' name," Dr. Valachovic said.
The awards are presented by the ADEAGies Foundation, the philanthropic arm of ADEA. The Foundation works to enhance the public's oral health through programs that support dental education, research, leadership and recognition.
For more information on the 2015 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition, visit adea.org/2015