America's Dental Meeting honored for innovative CE, philanthropy
July 09, 2014
—For the second year, the ADA annual meeting received high honors from the trade show industry, netting two E.X.C.I.T.E. Awards at the June 25 ExpoNext Conference here.
The ADA's 2013 annual meeting, held Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 2013, in New Orleans, won the award for Best Educational/Training event for its innovative continuing education programs and Best Charity Event for its successful Mission of Mercy charitable dental clinic. The ADA also received an honorable mention in the category of Best Show Overall, which it won in 2013.
Award sponsor Expo magazine is a leading publication serving the trade show industry, offering news, trends and best practices for trade show and event organizers.
Expo judges lauded the ADA's unique education programs that netted the Best Educational/Training Event award.
"This event has hands-on cadaver workshops, a dental office design center, a laser pavilion and an education-in-the-round feature, which allows live work on real patients. Truly an immersive experience — including those lucky folks who got to be the patients," judges said.
"We were very honored to be nationally recognized by the Trade Show and Event industry for our 2013 ADA meeting in New Orleans," said Dr. James E. Galati, 2014 chair for the Council on ADA Sessions. "This is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our talented Council on ADA Sessions members and staff. We are working continuously to be the leader in dental meetings and to put on the most innovative and cutting edge dental meeting in the country. Our advanced hands-on and exhibit floor CE programs at the 2013 meeting in New Orleans are great examples of innovations that make the ADA meeting special."
Since 2007, the ADA has launched more than a dozen unique learning opportunities that have been replicated at other dental meetings. Some examples of unique programs and courses that were born at ADA annual meetings include:
• Live-patient operatory learning in Education in the Round, launched in 2007.
• Education on the exhibit floor introduced 2008, including the Laser Pavilion, 3D Imaging Center and the Live-Patient CAD/CAM Stage.
• Live stream of select courses on ADA365 in 2008.
• New additions to exhibit floor education in 2010 and 2011, including the Pride Institute Technology Expo, the Preventive Equipment Maintenance Zone and the New Speaker Stage.
• Hands-on cadaver learning launched in 2012.
• Small group-led discussions via Learning Labs and Super Sessions in 2013.
• New additions to the exhibit floor education in 2013, including the Dental Office Design Center and the Health and Fitness Center.
• Partnership with the American Association of Women Dentists to offer a women dentists' track in 2013 and their full annual meeting program in 2014.
• New Specialty Pavilion on the exhibit floor in 2014, where sponsoring associations and expert speakers will answer questions and provide CE (see the Specialty Pavilion
link online for more details).
The ADA was also honored for the Best Charity Event for its first-ever Mission of Mercy charitable dental clinic More than 1,100 dental professionals and their friends and family from 42 states were able to provide $387,000 in free dental care to 755 patients in just one day.
"The MOM event was something the Council had been working on bringing to the ADA meeting for several years," said Dr. Galati. "This event is a way for all members of the dental profession — ADA members, staff, dental auxiliaries and exhibitors, among others — to give back to the underserved and to the greater new Orleans communities. The impact of this event was twofold. Patients who were treated were so appreciative and thankful for the care they received and volunteers felt a great sense of satisfaction and pride in seeing how the treatment they provided made a difference in these patients' lives."
Expo showcased the ADA MOM program in a feature article
The ADA will host a MOM event Oct. 12 in San Antonio during ADA 2014—America's Dental Meeting. For more details or to volunteer, visit ADA.org/MOM
. For more information on ADA 2014 CE courses, networking opportunities, social events, trade show and more, visit ADA.org/meeting