ADA, ADA Foundation showcase research at AADR
Endo tool: Daniel Halpin presents Apparatus and Method to Evaluate Cyclic Fatigue Failure of Rotary Endodontic Instruments Based on Rotating Beam Test.
Handpieces: Henry Lukic presents Surface Temperatures of Electric Handpieces Under Various Operating Conditions.
Fracture potential: Spiro Megremis, Ph.D., presents Energy Required to Fracture an Endodontic Instrument and Its Stiffness in Twisting.
Risk factor: Steve Gruninger poses with his poster Dental Practitioners' Risk Factors for Exposure to Legionella pneumophila.
Charlotte, N.C.—ADA Foundation and ADA scientists and researchers presented eight scientific abstracts and other works March 19-22 during the 43rd annual meeting of the American Association for Dental Research and the 38th annual meeting of the Canadian Association for Dental Research.
Scientists from the ADA Foundation Dr. Anthony Volpe Research Center, located in Gaithersburg, Maryland, and from the ADA Division of Science, presented the following:
- A Universal Function for the Edge Chip Resistance of Materials, oral presentation, George Quinn, a consultant to the Volpe Research Center; Anthony Guiseppetti and (the late) Janet B. Quinn, Ph.D.;
- 3-D Imaging Method for Measuring Shrinkage and Marginal-gap Formation, oral presentation, Jirun Sun, Ph.D.; Evalyn Myerly (college summer intern); Dr. Gary Schumacher; and Sheng Lin-Gibson, Ph.D., a National Institute of Standards and Technology employee;
- Novel Dental Resin Composites with Improved Service Life, oral presentation, Dr. Sun. Members of the ADA Division of Science projects included:
- Apparatus and Method to Evaluate Cyclic Fatigue Failure of Rotary Endodontic Instruments Based on Rotating Beam Test, poster, Daniel Halpin; Henry Lukic; Henry Shepelak; and Spiro Megremis, Ph.D.;
- Dental Practitioners' Risk Factors for Exposure to Legionella pneumophila, poster, Steve Gruninger, Cameron G. Estrich and Kristy L. Vogt;
- Surface Temperatures of Electric Handpieces Under Various Operating Conditions, poster, Mr. Lukic and Dr. Megremis;
- Energy Required to Fracture an Endodontic Instrument and Its Stiffness in Twisting, oral presentation, Dr. Megremis with Mr. Lukic, Victoria Ong and Celine Javanni, an intern and D.M.D. candidate at Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health;
- Shear Bond Strength of Self-Etch Adhesive Cements on Alloys, poster, by Amer Tiba, Ph.D.; Ms. Estrich; Dr. Gregory Zeller, associate dean for clinical affairs, professor of oral health, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry; intern Amie Patel, a D.M.D. candidate at Roseman University of Health Sciences, College of Dental Medicine, South Jordan, Utah; and intern Daniel Areepong, a D.M.D. candidate at Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health.
For more information, about the ADA Division of Science posters and presentations, contact the ADA by email at email@example.com.
For more information about Dr. Anthony Volpe Research Center posters and presentations, call the VRC at 1-301-975-6806 or email VRC@ada.org.