Run ‘what if’ scenarios with ADA Dental Benefit Plan Analyzer
October 06, 2014
The new online ADA Dental Benefit Plan Analyzer allows dentists to run scenarios to help them determine the best path when choosing network dental plans.
The Dental Benefit Plan Analyzer is available on the ADA's Center for Professional Success website at Success.ADA.org/apps
. Dentists can analyze various benefit plans they are considering and run a "what if" scenario that will show them the financial impact to their practice.
After inputting information, the dentist receives a plan score from 1-100, with 100 being the best. The baseline is cash-paying patients, and the closer to 100 a plan is rated, the better financial incentive for the dentist.
"Deciding which dental benefit plan to participate in is an important business decision for many dentists," said Dr. Andrew Vorrasi, chair of the ADA Council on Dental Benefit Programs, which came up with the idea for the application. "Dentists need to consider both the financial implications to their practice and the capacity issues that may arise as a result of the contract they're being asked to sign. This new application makes those decisions easier, allowing the dentists to compare plans and determine what best suits their practice needs."
Features of the Dental Benefit Plan Analyzer include:
- Running analysis models based on actual practice data taken from the dentist's practice management system. The plan analyzer automatically displays the top 20 procedures based on revenue and the average number of weekly hours they and their hygienists work.
- Saving those results for future review and comparison.
- Analyzing preferred provider organization and dental health maintenance organization benefit plans.
- Configuring variable inputs like practice overhead; time spent by dentists not treating patients; number of estimated new patients; number of restorative operatories; number of hygienist operatories; and the capitated fee being offered by DHMO providers.
- Installing the Sikka Platform Utility on one computer in the office and being able to run the analysis from any other computer or tablet with an Internet connection.
- Reviewing plan score data based on the financial impact of adopting the plan and how the plan's patients compare against cash-paying patients.
- Viewing a visual indicator plan score for quick analysis.
- Seeing available staff and operatory hours as well as the hours required to handle the estimated new patients.
Dentists can purchase the ADA Dental Benefit Plan Analyzer for a one-year subscription to conduct annual plan reviews and regular financial check-ups or for one month for periodic plan reviews. ADA members can use the analyzer for one month for $60. The cost is $90 for nonmembers. An annual subscription for members is $160 and is $240 for nonmembers.