ADPAC hosts campaign school
July 23, 2015
Campaign school: ADPAC-hosted workshop attendees include from left front Dr. Kim Jernigan, Dr. Darryal McCullough, Dr. Viviana Avila-Gnau, Dr. Michael Breault, Joe Anne Hart; back L-R Mark Gnau, Dr. Richard Mounce, Dr. Abdullaibrahim Abdulwaheed, Dr. Paul Giotopoulos, Dr. Rico Short, Dr. Brett Kessler, Dr. Bruce Hutchison, Dr. Zack Kalarickal, Dr. Robert Smith, Jr. Photo by Joe Anne Hart, Florida Dental Association
– Are you ready to make the plunge from practice to politics was the first question put to dentists and specialty physicians attending the July 10-11 campaign school supported by the American Dental Political Action Committee.
Twelve ADA member dentists attended the annual workshop to learn what it takes to run for local, state or federal office, participate in a campaign for public office or better grasp the nuts and bolts of campaign construction: Dr. Abdullaibrahim Abdulwaheed, Dr. Michael Breault, Dr. Paul Giotopoulos, Dr. Viviana Avila-Gnau, Dr. Bruce Hutchison, Dr. Kim Jernigan, Dr. Zack Kalarickal, Dr. Brett Kessler, Dr. Darryal McCullough, Dr. Richard Mounce, Dr. Rico Short and Dr. Robert Smith, Jr.
"At this session, you'll discover what it takes to run and what this means for your practice," the agenda promised. "We'll start from the beginning laying out what a successful campaign looks like and does and why you NEED to have one." Other sessions:
- How to build your campaign organization and your grassroots campaign.
- All winning campaigns use political polls, what they are and how to use them.
- Every campaign needs a message simple, direct and easy to understand.
- Issues important to you and how to earn the support of your PAC.
- Why network and cable advertising are vital mediums to campaigning.
- Show me the money; you cannot win without raising money.
- Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, powerful vehicles candidates can and must utilize.
- Direct mail and online ads are critical components of any campaign.
- This session will analyze the media and their role in politics.
The workshop closed with a campaign case study. Hosting organizations included ADPAC, American College of Radiology RADPAC, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Society of Anesthesiologists, National Emergency Medicine PAC and American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists OB-GYN PAC.