ADA Foundation supports nonprofits fostering oral health education
May 10, 2016
Reaching out: Dr. Jamie Darr of Mercy Medical Center offers dental care to a young patient in an operatory in the heart of the underserved northeast section of Canton, Ohio. Mercy Medical Center is a recipient of a grant from the ADA Foundation's Semi-annual Grant Program.
— In April, the ADA Foundation awarded 13 grants to nonprofits whose charitable work is in alignment with the Foundation's mission pillar of improving the public's oral health through education.
Mercy Medical Center, in Canton, Ohio, was one of the recipients for its educational efforts that target its underserved population "from newborns to nonagenarians," according to its grant application.
The center will use the funds to create oral health wellness bags as well as the administration of an oral health "awareness event" focusing on periodontal disease and dentures.
Proper denture-cleaning education is direly needed, Pam Varner, Mercy Dental Clinic manager, told the ADA News. "I have witnessed thick films of built-up particles that look like bologna on dentures during oral health checkups," she said.
Through its Semi-annual Grant Program for education, the ADA Foundation accepts grant proposals from nonprofits starting in October of each year. The Foundation awarded grants for a total of more than $64,000.
The Foundation distributed grants to the following organizations for 2016. Each organization received $5,000, except for Mercy Medical Center, which received its requested $4,756:
- Academy of Medical & Public Services, Brooklyn, New York.
- American Dental Association Council on Access, Prevention and Interprofessional Relations, Chicago.
- Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors, Reno, Nevada
- CAP Services, Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
- Central American Resource Center, San Francisco.
- Children's Dental Services, Minneapolis.
- Community Dental Care, Maplewood, Minnesota.
- Community Health Ministry, Wamego, Kansas.
- Family, Inc., Council Bluffs, Iowa.
- Mercy Medical Center, Canton, Ohio.
- Mid-Ohio Valley Board of Health, Parkersburg, West Virginia.
- The Manor, Morrisville, Vermont.
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, Chicago.
For more information, contact the Foundation at 1-312-440-2547 or adaf@ADA.org