ADEAGies Foundation honors 2017 Gies Awards recipients
March 22, 2017
Long Beach, Calif
. — The American Dental Education Association's ADEAGies Foundation honored the nine recipients of its annual William J. Gies Awards for Vision, Innovation and Achievement.
The honorees were recognized March 20 at the 10th Annual Gies Awards Gala, which was held in conjuction with the 2017 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Long Beach, California.
The award is named after William J. Gies, Ph.D., a Columbia University biochemistry professor and founder of its College of Dental Medicine.
In 1926, Dr. Gies published "The Gies Report, Dental Education in the United States and Canada," a landmark report that established the importance of dentistry as a healing science and an essential component of higher education in the health professions.
The award honors individuals and organizations exemplifying dedication to the highest standards of vision, innovation and achievement in dental education, research and leadership.
The 2017 honorees were:
- Dr. Allan J. Formicola, Gies Awards for Vision — Dental Educator.
- N. Karl Haden, Ph.D., Gies Awards for Achievement — Public or Private Partner.
- George K. Stookey, Ph.D., Gies Awards for Innovation — Dental Educator.
- Pamela Zarkowski, J.D., Gies Awards for Achievement — Dental Educator.
- Colorado Dental Association, Gies Awards for Vision — Public or Private Partner.
- Eastman Institute for Oral Health, Gies Awards for Achievement — Academic Dental Institution.
- Jordan Valley Community Health Center, Gies Awards for Innovation — Public or Private Partner.
- Pacific Center for Special Care at University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, Gies Awards for Innovation — Academic Dental Institution.
- University of Washington School of Dentistry — RIDE Program, Gies Awards for Vision — Academic Dental Institution.