ANNUAL MEASURES REVIEW: CALL FOR COMMENTS ON STARTER SET: The 2017 Annual Measure Review Cycle is now complete and the final report is available for your review. Read the 2017 Annual Report.
DQA Approves a Starter Set of Adult Dental Quality Measures
DQA is very proud to announce the first set of measures for the adult population. The DQA tested two adult measures for validity, reliability, feasibility and usability using data from Medicaid program level data from Washington and Wisconsin and plan level data from Wisconsin Delta Dental. These measures are:
- Oral evaluation for adults with periodontitis
- Ongoing care for adults with periodontitis
Read the approved specifications.
The DQA would like to extend their appreciation to the following individuals on the research team that facilitated the testing.
- JoAnna Scott, PhD, Affiliate Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Health Sciences, University of Washington
- Pradeep Bhagavatula, BDS, MPH, MS Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Services, Marquette University
- Donald L. Chi, DDS, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Oral Health Sciences, University of Washington
This project would not have been possible without the numerous hours contributed by members of the DQA’s Measure Development and Maintenance Committee.
- Craig W. Amundson, DDS, General Dentist, HealthPartners, National Association of Dental Plans. Dr. Amundson serves as chair for the Committee.
- Michael R. Breault, DDS, Periodontist, Chair, Dental Quality Alliance
- Mark Casey, DDS, MPH, Dental Director, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Division of Medical Assistance
- James J. Crall, DDS, ScD, American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry; Professor & Chair, Division of Public Health & Community Dentistry and Director, National Oral Health Policy Center at UCLA
- Frederick Eichmiller, DDS, Vice President & Science Officer, Delta Dental of Wisconsin
- Chris Farrell, RDH, BSDH, MPA, Oral Health Program Director, Michigan Dept. of Health and Human Services
- Todd Marshall, DDS, MBA, General Dentist, Park Dental Brookpark, ADA/ Council on Dental Practice
- Marie Schweinebraten, DMD, Periodontist, Chair, DQA Education Committee, Chair-elect, Dental Quality Alliance
- Matthew Vaillant, DDS, General Dentist, Vaillant Family Dental, ADA/ Council on Dental Benefit Program
- Jill Herndon, PhD, Methodologist, DQA
This project was supported with a generous grant from the ADA Foundation which provided funding [in part] for this project.
Program Level Measures: 2017 version of User Guide and Measure Specifications now available: The DQA undertakes an annual review of all its measures. The 2017 versions of all DQA approved measures, their specification and the user guide are available under Medicaid and Dental Plan Assessments.
Practice Level Measures: The DQA is actively looking at developing measures for practice level assessments. Visit Measures: Practice Assessments page for more information.
Risk Adjustment in Dental Measures: A discussion guide: The DQA released a discussion paper on the concept of “Risk Adjustment.” Don’t forget to review and please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical Assistance to DQA Measures Implementers: In an effort to facilitate implementation of the DQA measures, the DQA provides technical assistance (TA) to users of DQA measures. If you would like more information on this, please contact the DQA Staff at email@example.com.
The next DQA meeting will be held on Friday, November 10, 2017. Future meetings are scheduled for June 15, 2018 and Nov.2, 2018. If you wish to observe at any of these meetings, please contact DQA Staff at 312.440.7649 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology
- American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Association of Endodontists
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- American Association for Dental Research
- American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
- American College of Prosthodontists
- American Dental Association’s Board of Trustees
- American Dental Education Association
- American Dental Hygienists' Association
- America's Health Insurance Plans
- Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention (ADA)
- Council on Dental Benefit Programs (ADA)
- Council on Dental Practice (ADA)
- Council on Government Affairs (ADA)
- Delta Dental Plans Association
- Managed Care of North America Dental
- Medicaid-CHIP State Dental Association
- National Association of Dental Plans
- National Network for Oral Health Access
- The Joint Commission
Associate Organizational Members
- Adirondack Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Federal Government Technical Advisors/Liaisons
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Health Resources and Services Administration
- Veterans Health Administration