Join ADAMember Log In

International Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Continuing Education Courses (CE)

Are there any CE Courses available outside the U.S. and will these credits count towards U.S. CE requirements?
Many countries do not sponsor Continuing Education Courses like the U.S. However, the FDI recently was approved as an ADA CERP provider.

General dentists, specialists, and dental team members are able to complete and earn CE credits through the ADA Continuing Education Online program. With round-the-clock access, this program provides a comprehensive library of online CE courses, self-learning course evaluations, automated grading, and secure credit card payment.

The ADA Continuing Education Online program brings educational opportunities right into the office or home allowing registrants to learn at their own pace, at their own time and at their own convenience. Course registration provides registrants access to the course content for one year from time of purchase. For more information click here.

How can my international organization be an ADA Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP) provider?

To be granted recognition, applicants must demonstrate eligibility to apply and compliance with the 15 standards of the program listed under ADA CERP Recognition Standards and Procedures. Please review the ADA CERP application eligibility requirements and complete the application and all supporting documentation in English.

Return to Top

FDI World Dental Federation

What is the FDI?
The FDI World Dental Federation was founded in Paris in 1900. It is an alliance of approximately 200 national dental associations, such as the ADA, who are the worldwide voice of dentistry, promoting optimal oral and general health through supporting its members' activities to advance dentistry.

How do I join the FDI?
You don’t need to, you are a member already! All ADA members are members of the FDI.

How do I keep in touch with FDI initiatives?
The ADA News and are news sources for FDI activities. Also, the FDI World Dental Press publishes The International Dental Journal six times a year, for further information, e-mail The International Dental Journal is avaiable to ADA members at a reduced cost. The The Worldental Communiqué is your link to FDI activities. The newsletter is published six times a year in four different languages — English, French, German and Spanish — covering events, activities and news regarding world dentistry.

Where will the FDI meeting be held? Can you send me a program?
The meeting will be held in New Delhi, India, from September 11-14, 2014. You can access information about the 2014 FDI Annual World Dental Congress at

How do I register for the FDI World Dental Congress?
You may register online at

Return to Top


Where can I obtain a list of meetings outside the U.S.?
This information can be found on the International Events calendar.

If I attend a meeting outside the U.S. is it tax deductible?
Tax laws are very complex. We suggest that you check with your tax attorney or tax consultant to see what requirements are necessary for tax deductions.

I am a dentist from outside the U.S., where can I get information about attending the ADA Meeting?
All information can be found at the ADA Annual Meeting site.

Return to Top

International Dental Associations 

How can I contact a foreign dental association or an international dental organization?
This information can be found in the ADA Global Directory and International Dental Societies.

Return to Top

International Volunteer Opportunities

I want to volunteer outside the U.S. How do I do this?
The ADA is a sponsor of the dentistry programs of Health Volunteers Overseas. Health Volunteers Overseas (HVO) is a private non-profit organization committed to improving health care in developing countries through training and education. The dentistry programs of HVO provide volunteer opportunities for ADA members. In addition, the ADA produces the publication International Dental Volunteer Organizations: A Guide to Service and a Directory of Programs. To request a free copy, e-mail

Return to Top

Certificate for International Volunteer Service

What is the Certificate for International Volunteer Service?
The ADA believes that the personal effort and self-sacrifice of Association members who serve as volunteers in lesser developed countries to improve the health of their peoples merit professional and public appreciation and recognition. Thus, in 1974 the ADA established a certificate program whereby individuals who meet the criteria established are eligible to receive a Certificate for International Volunteer Service.

How do I apply for a Certificate for International Volunteer Service?
To receive a Certificate for International Volunteer Service, you must fill out an application and meet the criteria established by the ADA House of Delegates. You can also obtain a copy by e-mailing or by calling 800.621.8099 x2726 or 312.440.2500. The deadline to apply is April 15 each year.

How can I obtain a hard copy of International Dental Volunteer Organizations: A Guide to Service and a Directory of Programs?
As a member of the ADA you can obtain a free copy by e-mailing or by calling 800.621.8099 x2726 or 312.440.2726.

Return to Top

Employment Outside the U.S.

I want to work outside the U.S., do you have a list of opportunities and other information?
Licensure varies from country to country. The basic requirement to work in another country is the proper visa to work in that country, fluency in the language of the country and then you must meet the licensure law requirements. You may obtain additional information on licensure from another country by contacting the respective national dental association. A list of National Dental Associations can be found at International Dental Societies.

Return to Top

ADA Humanitarian Award

How can I nominate a member of the ADA for the Humanitarian Award?
Nomination information can be found here, or you can contact the ADA's Division of Global Affairs at 312.440.2726 or Nominations must be postmarked no later than September 20.

Return to Top

Contact Us:

Contact International (e-mail)
American Dental Association
Division of Global Affairs
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611-2678

Return to Top