ADA/DENTSPLY student clinicians ready for session
The program is underwritten by DENTSPLY International Inc.
In June, DENTSPLY received the 2008 Dr. Edward B. Shils Entrepreneurial Education Fund Award recognizing the company's half century of commitment to support the student clinician program. Since its inception, the program has grown to include more than 5,000 student participants in more than 35 countries worldwide, supporting student scientists as they present their research at dental meetings around the globe.
A closed judging session will be held Oct. 18 from 8 a.m.-noon. Registered annual session attendees can earn two hours of continuing education credit by attending the open session the same day for all student poster presentations from 1-3 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, in the student clinician area located on the River Level, outside Room 007 (Course 7399) and one hour of CE credit by attending the session featuring the winning poster presentations Oct. 19, 9:30 a.m.-noon (Course 8399).
Each accredited school in the U.S., including Puerto Rico, was invited to send the winner of its research competition to participate in the program.
CATEGORY I: Clinical Research/Public Health
Judges for Category I include Drs. Shirley A. Austin, Mesa, Ariz.; Stephen B. Corbin, Rockville, Md.; Janet L. Harrison, Memphis, Tenn.; Keith V. Krell, West Des Moines, Iowa; Ole Marker, Denmark; Dan G. Middaugh, Seattle; O. Jack Penhall, Greensburg, Pa., chair; John S. Rutkauskas, Chicago; Alex C. Salinas, San Antonio; Arturo Santiago, Guaynabo, Puerto Rico; David L. Vorherr, Cincinnati.
The following poster presentations are scheduled to be presented in Category I:
- Nejay P. Ananaba, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, "Liberian Middle School Students' Oral Health and Quality of Life";
- Robert Neal Blair, University of Tennessee at Memphis College of Dentistry, "Sex Differences in Esthetic Treatment Needs of Adolescent Orthodontic Patients";
- Christy Y. Chu, New York University College of Dentistry, "A Duplex Real Time PCR Assay for the Quantitative Detection of S. Mutans and S. Sanguinis";
- Rita Y. Chuang, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, "Late Maxillary Protraction: Novel Treatment Modality for Cleft Lip and Palate Patients";
- Sean P. Connolly, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, "Photodynamic Therapy for Endodontic Disinfection";
- Christopher S. Costa and Joseph R. McElveen, co-clinician, Medical University of South Carolina College of Dentistry, "No Tooth Left Behind";
- Kevin Croft, School of Dental Medicine State University of New York at Stony Brook, "Monitoring Progressive Alveolar Bone Loss Through Digital Subtraction Techniques";
- Kari Alexis Cunningham, Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine, "Patient Preference Regarding Dentist Selection";
- Rachel M. Dunlop, Indiana University School of Dentistry, "Methicillin Resistance Staphylococcus Aureus Present on Dental Student Laptop Computers";
- Joseph K. Fleming, University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry, "Wettability of Polymerized Surfaces of Resin Composites at Oral Temperature";
- John H. Foley, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, "Enhancing Bioprogressive Dentofacial-Skeletal Complex Growth Prediction Utilizing Digital Data Mining";
- Benjamin C. Foster and David A. Guidry, co-clinician, Louisiana State University Dental School, "Corrosion of Cu-Containing NiTi Orthodontic Arch Wires";
- Wyeth L. Hoopes and Patrick Lucaci, co-clinician, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry, "Comparing Suture Strengths for Clinical Applications: A Novel In-Vitro Study";
- Sung K. Kim, University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine, "Comparing Mechanical Properties of Chain-Growth Dimethacrylate and Step-Growth Thiol-ene Network Polymers";
- Christopher K. Kimball, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Dental Branch, "Growth and Differentiation Factors for Bone Regeneration: Is It the Future?";
- Jeffery A. Kohler Jr., Creighton University School of Dentistry, "Effect of Polymerization Unit Intensities and Resin-Based Composite Restorative Material Shades on Microhardness";
- Kathryn R. Kosten, Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine, "Snap, Crackle, Pop: Interpreting the Sounds of the TMJ";
- Michael Lee, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, "Polymerization Shrinkage and Hygroscopic Expansion Effects of a Resin-Modified Glass Ionomer Restorative";
- Jeff Mirrielees, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry, "The Effects of Inflammatory Arthritis on Periodontal Disease";
- Akindeko D. Obebe, Temple University School of Dentistry, "Comparison of the Effect of Hemostatic Agents on Collagen Induced Platelet Aggregation";
- Sarah L. Parker, Texas A & M Baylor College of Dentistry, "Is There a Relationship Between Dental Occlusion and Masticatory Function?";
- Wesley B. Phillips and Nathaniel T. Nicholson, co-clinician, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, "Thermal Changes Induced by Implant Drills in Bovine Bone: An In-Vitro Study in Experimental Design";
- B. Corey Slighly, University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry, "Preliminary Investigation: Oral Adhesive Patches for the Delivery of Fluoride";
- Kyle A. Thames, Oregon Health & Science University, "Bacterial Splatter: Should Dentists Be Concerned?";
- Seun Thompson, Marquette University School of Dentistry, "Prevalence of Malocclusion in a Young Population";
- Todd W. Walker, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, "Effect of Adhesive System and Composite Type on Dentin Bonds";
- Radha S. Yamarthy, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-New Jersey Dental School, "Activity of Antimicrobial Peptide Mimetics Against Candida."
CATEGORY II: Basic Science Research
Judges for Category II are Drs. Carmen Yolanda Bonta, Somerset, N.J.; Rella P. Christensen, Ph.D., Provo, Utah; Lisa P. Deem, Blue Bell, Pa.; Raymond A. Dionne Jr., Bethesda, Md.; Ryan K. Edmunds, San Antonio; Sharon M. Gordon, Baltimore; Leticia Gutierrez Jeffords, San Antonio; Takashi Komabayashi, West Hartford, Conn.; Joel N. Pascuzzi, Summit, N.J.; Rahele F. Rezai, Washington; Jon B. Suzuki, Philadelphia, Pa.; Barbara Tatum, Columbia, Md.; Richard Carlos Tatum, Columbia, Md., Chair; Angella Tomlinson, Tampa, Fla.; Thomas Van Dyke, Boston; Hans-Jurgen Wenz, Germany.
The following poster presentations are scheduled to be presented in Category II:
- John W. Andrews Jr., University of Nevada Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine, "Increased PAF Acetylhydrolase Expression Following Activation of Toll-Like Receptors in Mono-Mac 6 Cells";
- Poonum Bharal, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, "Transcriptional Response of Mouse Fibroblasts to Porphyromonas Gingivalis Infection";
- Christopher Allan Bonesteel, University of Florida College of Dentistry, "Evaluation of FruA/FruB in Fructan Catabolism by Streptococcus Mutans";
- Jenny Y. Chung, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, "Regeneration of the Dental Pulp by the Release of Biologically Active Cues";
- Carey Collins, Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, "Role of Pannexin 3, A New Gap Junction Protein in Skeletal Tissue Development";
- Andrew S. Currie, University of Louisville School of Dentistry, "Serum Growth Factors Do Not Prevent De-Differentiation of Salivary Gland Acinar Cells";
- Heather C. Desh, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, "Ddit4L Expression Increases in Response to Murine Masseter Unloading";
- Kajuana P. Farrey, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, "Possible Role of p21WAF1 in Green Tea Polyphenol-Induced Growth Arrest and Apoptosis in Oral Carcinoma Cells";
- Isadora Z. Gonzalez-Rosario, University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry, "Identification of Progenitor Cells in Salivary Gland Cell Culture Using Sgn-1 Mouse Model";
- Catherine Hsu, University of Washington School of Dentistry, "shRNA Knockdown of Chick MID1 and MID2 Using Recombinant Lentivirus";
- Sheela Jayappa, University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry, "Effects of Transforming Growth Factor-Beta 3 on Osteoblast Proliferation, Differentiation and Apoptosis";
- Ji Won Jung, State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine, "IL-17 Plays a Role in Defense Against Oral Candida Infection";
- Erin K. Ladwig, University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, "Biofilm Specific Vaccine for Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus in Rabbit";
- Cassidy M. Lavorini-Doyle, University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, "Cell Biological Basis for the Highly Variable Transfection of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cells by Non-viral Vectors";
- Ismael R. Montane, Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine, "Myosin II and E-Cadherin Direct Planar Cell Polarity Required for Duct Elongation During SMG Morphogenesis";
- Lindsey C. Pingel, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, "HBD3 Suppresses MAPK Signaling Pathways in Human Dendritic Cells";
- Susan Putthoff, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, "Characterization of a Novel Assay for Orofacial Hyperalgesia and Allodynia";
- Richard J. Rauth, University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry, "Engineered M180KI Mouse Enamel: Simply Hard";
- Stacey Ritter, University of Mississippi School of Dentistry, "Effects of Gender and Periapical Inflammation on Rat Adipose Tissue";
- Neil Robertson, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, "Multi-Lineage Differentiation Potential of Pericytes Isolated from Human Dental Pulp";
- Amber T. Royal, Howard University College of Dentistry, "Injection of Plasmid DNA Encoding for Transforming Growth Factory Beta 3 (TGF-‚3) via Collagen Gel Vehicle Increases Production of this Protein in Osteoblast Cell Culture";
- Heidi M. Snider, Ohio State University College of Dentistry, "Non-lymocytes Are Responsible for the Resistant Phenotype Seen in STAT1 BALB/c KO Mice Infected with Leishmania Donovani";
- Melissa A. Talbert, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry, "Metal Ions Induct Myofibroblastic Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells";
- Bo Wang, University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry, "BMP Signaling is Required for Development of the Maxillary Process";
- Estee Wang, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, "Potential Role of Zinc Finger Transcription Factor in Cerebral Cortical Development";
- Ryan L. Wood, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry, "Molecular Mechanisms of Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis and the Role of Parathyroid Hormone";
- Michael Woods, University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine, "Cyclin Dependent Kinases CDK4 and CDK6 Enhance Keratinocyte Cell Growth But Do Not Alter Keratinocyte Differentiation".
- (Loma Linda University School of Dentistry and Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine have indicated that they would not be participating in the 2008 ADA/DENTSPLY Student Clinician Research Program.)
International student clinicians
The following international students will present their research:
- Juliana Duarte Bittar, University of Brasilia, Brazil, "Different Protocols for Obtaining Human Dental Pulp Stem Cells";
- Dr. Gregory Caron, University of Paris VII, France, "Input From Irrigation Solutions Activation Systems at the End of a Root Canal Shaping: SEM Study";
- Julie Woo-Jung Chang, Kyung-Hee University, Korea, "Regulation of MMP-9 Expression Between Cultured Gingival Fibroblast From Young and Old Rats";
- Mohd Firoz Khan, Kothiwal Dental College & Research Centre, Moradabad, India, "Digital Microscopic Measurements and Nuclear Counter Software";
- Julia Lautensack, University of Aachen, Germany, "Non-destructive Vizualisation of Demineralization Processes Using Synchroton-Microgomography";
- Audrey McNamara, University of Toronto, Canada, "Comparison of the Osteoinductivity of Bio Implants Containing rhBMP-7 (OP-1) and rhBMP-2 (Infuse)";
- Ryan Olley, Kings College London Dental Institute, United Kingdom, "The Role of Sonic Hedgehog Signalling in Tooth Root Development";
- Dr. Panithan Rujirasak, Kohn Kaen University, Thailand, "The Shear Bond Strength of Composite Resin and Stainless Steel Crown After Four Different Surface Treatments";
- Nazmiye Sonmez, Gazi University, Turkey, "Evaluation of Patient Satisfaction Following the Impacted Mandibular 3rd Molar Surgeries with Preoperative Versus Postoperative NSAI Drug Usage Under Subjective and Objective Criteria";
- Solveig Anna Thorvaldsdottir, University of Iceland, Iceland, "Tooth Erosion and Soft Drinks."
- (At press time, Japan, Taiwan and South Africa had not submitted the names of their international students.)
For more information about the program, contact Glynis Wilkins in the Council on ADA Sessions, Ext. 2664.