Students to compete at annual session
ADA/DENTSPLY Student Clinician Research Program clinics listed
Orlando—Celebrating its 51st year, the ADA/DENTSPLY Student Clinician Research Program will showcase outstanding student research projects from U.S. dental schools as well as the work of winning international student clinicians in Orlando.
A closed judging session will be held Oct. 9, 8 a.m.-noon. Registered annual session attendees can earn three hours of continuing education credit by attending the open session for all student poster presentations from 1-4 p.m. at the Orange County Convention Center, in the South Building, Level One, on the floor of the World Marketplace Exhibition in the Competition Hub. This area is located next to the 4300 Aisle in the LOC, or Live Operatory Center (course 5350).
Each accredited school in the U.S., including Puerto Rico, was invited to send the winner of its research competition to participate in the program.
Category I: Clinical Science/Public Health Research
Judges for Category I include Dr. Steven B. Andreaus, Raleigh, N.C.; Dr. Shirley A. Austin, Mesa, Ariz.; Dr. Stephen B. Corbin, Rockville, Md.; Dr. Janet L. Harrison, Memphis, Tenn.; Dr. Keith V. Krell, West Des Moines, Iowa; Dr. Ole Marker, Denmark; Dr. Dan G. Middaugh, Seattle; Dr. O. Jack Penhall, Greenburg, Pa., chair; Dr. John S. Rutkauskas, Chicago; Dr. Alex C. Salinas, San Antonio; Dr. Arturo Santiago, Guaynabo, PR; Dr. David L. Vorherr, Cincinnati; Dr. Albert Whitehead, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
The following poster presentations are scheduled to be presented in Category I:
- Addie Allen, Comparison of Bone Changes After Implant Placement Using Two Radiographic Imaging Modalities: A Retrospective Study, University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Dentistry;
- Sandrika Barnes, Dentistry in a Technologically Advanced Era Influencing the Diagnosis of Carious Lesions: A Literature Review, Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry;
- Jeffrey Bennett, Interaction of A Resin Luting Cement with Two Aqueous Media, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry;
- Jae Brimhall, Efficacy of Cevimeline vs. Pilocarpine in the Secretion of Saliva, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry;
- Jason Kyomin Choo, Influence on Bond Strength of Orthodontic Brackets, Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine;
- Angela Cook, Effects of Herbal Lollipops on the Streptococcus Mutans Levels and Dental Caries Experience of Children with Asthma Taking Beta2-Adrenergic Agonist Drugs, University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry;
- Paul Anthony Covello, Custom Total Temporomandibular Joint Prostheses: A Review of the Literature, Marquette University School of Dentistry;
- Kate Donovan, Determinants of Infant Oral Health Practices Among General Dentists, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Dentistry;
- Mindy S. Gil, Assessment of Incipient Interproximal Caries Diagnostic Device, Harvard University School of Dental Medicine;
- Matthew P. Godfrey, Christopher J. Smart, co-clinicians, Assessment of the Prescription of Antiobiotics for Pulpal Disease, West Virginia University School of Dentistry;
- Paria Goodarzi, Maternal Influence on S.Mutans Colonization and Early Childhood Caries in Thai Children, New York University College of Dentistry;
- Stas Grandi, An Analysis of Intermolar, Intercuspid Ratios and Facial Heights in Different Malocclusions, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine;
- Lisa Grow, Characterization of FIT 852 Monomer for Dental Composite Restorative Materials, University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine;
- Patrick S. Hart, Comparison of the Efficacy of Dental Student Technique in Administering the Gow-Gates Mandibular Block and Inferior Alveolar Nerve Block, University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine;
- Volha Isiutsina, Assessment of a Caries Risk Clinical Program at a U.S. Dental School, Indiana University School of Dentistry;
- Anuja Kothari,“A Dipstick Magnetic Immunoassay for HIV Viral Load, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry;
- Hanna Elizabeth Lindskog, Increasing the Strength of Silver-Zinc Zeolite Modified Acrylic Resins, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School;
- Elyce Link, Utilization of Cone-Beam CT for Incidental Diagnosis of Calcifications of Carotid Artery, Temple University Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry;
- Rebekah N. Lucier, Soft Tissue Protein Expression Modifications Following Exposure to Whitening Agents, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine;
- Kyle A. Mallory, Surface Roughness of In-Office Machined Crowns Using Diamond Burs, Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry;
- Adam Meinhardt, Evaluation of Dental Caries Identified Using Conventional Film and Digital Radiographs, Creighton University School of Dentistry;
- Jennifer Merry, Strain-Hardening of Polyphenylene Orthodontic Wires” University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine;
- Derek Peek, Correlation of Force and Torque Behavior of Rotating Endodontic Files, University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry;
- Jerek B. Petrous, Evaluation of the Esthetics of a Smile, University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry;
- Sandeep P. Potdar, A Meta-Analysis of Studies of Air Pollution in Urban Areas Along Highways and Lung Diseases Including Asthma Among Children, University of Southern California the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry;
- Caroline Rubino, Assessment of Two Alcohol-Free Mouthwash Effects on Streptococcus Mutans Biofilms, State University of New York Stony Brook Health Sciences Center School of Dental Medicine;
- Robert Lawrence Trujillo, The Potential Clinical Applications of Bioactive Glass in Dentistry, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health;
- Shweta S. Vora, Primary Stability in Cancellous Bone of Two Implant Site Preparations, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, School of Dental Medicine;
- Dean P. Whiting, Effects of Implant Angulations on Retentive Characteristics of Stud Attachment, University of Washington School of Dentistry.
Category II: Basic Science Research
Judges for Category II include Dr. Robert A. Augsburger, Tulsa, Okla.; Dr. Carmen Yolanda Bonta, Somerset, N.J.; Dr. Gareth R. Brock, England; Dr. Tadasha Culbreath, Alexandria, Va.; Dr. Christopher Cutler, Stony Brook, N.Y.; Dr. Lisa P. Deem, Blue Bell, Pa.; Dr. Raymond A. Dionne Jr., Bethesda, Md.; Dr. Rekha C. Gehani, Jackson Heights, N.Y.; Dr. Sharon M. Gordon, Baltimore, Md.; Dr. Takashi Komabayashi, Dallas; Dr. Mirdza E. Neiders, Buffalo, N.Y.; Dr. Rahele F. Rezai, Washington, D,C,; Dr. Rada Sumareva, New York City; Dr. Jon B. Suzuki, Philadelphia; Dr. Richard Carlos Tatum, Columbia, Md., chair; Dr. Angella Tomlinson, Tampa, Fla.; Dr. Thomas Van Dyke, Boston; Dr. Hans-Jurgen Wenz, Germany.
The following poster presentations are scheduled to be presented in Category II:
- Abbey Ackermann, Porphyromonas Gingivalis rHagB Binds to Human Dendritic Cell Proteins, University of Iowa College of Dentistry;
- Ryan F. Bloomquist, Novel Gene Networks for Developing the Dentition, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry;
- Jessica Lynn Bondy, Influence of Cigarette Smoke Extract on Neutrophil-Epithelial-Bacterial Biofilm Interactions, University of Louisville School of Dentistry;
- Kimberley Chan, iPS Cells Generated from OFCD Patient As A Study Model for Developmental Disorder” Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine;
- Insoon Chang,“Synergistic Antitumor Activities of Proteasome & Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma, University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry;
- Shawna R. Clark, Galectin-1 Levels in Cultured Adenocarcinoma Cells and Conditioned Media, University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry;
- Andrew Corsaro,“MicroRNA Regulation of ASC in Immunologically Active Human Monocytes, University of Florida College of Dentistry;
- Jesse N. Gardner, Host Cellular Proteins As Potential Targets for Antiviral Therapies, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine;
- Angela Gullard, Dental Alterations Associated with Camurati-Engelmann Disease” University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry;
- Joseph King, Gene Expression Mediated by Progressively Truncated HIV-LTR Promoters and HIV Tat: How to Kill HIV Infected Cells, University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry;
- Heather M. Luong,“Location of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor in A Bioreactor-Engineered Cartilage Nodule, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Dental School;
- Paula A. Miranda Bucio, Mechanistic Interplay Between HIV-1 VPR and TAT for Enhancing Cell Survival and Viral Production in Dividing Cells, School of Dental Medicine of the University of Puerto Rico;
- Samin Nawaz, Cloning of pgaABCD Genes Involved in Biofilm Formation of Aggregatibacter Actinomycetemcomitans, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School;
- David Steven Nedrelow, Osteblast Response on Titanium Biofunctionalized with Elastin-like Recombinant Biopolymers, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry;
- Bradley M. Pinker, Cytotoxic Effects of Zoledronate on Primary Human Oral Fibroblasts, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine;
- Angelo G. Pope Jr., The Effect of Clioquinol Combined with Zinc on the Growth of Prostrate Cancer Cells, Howard University College of Dentistry;
- William Pratt, Are Sequences Within Intron 1 of the Periostin Gene Required for Periostin Transcription Regulation?, Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine;
- Neil Robertson, Scaffold-Less Three-Dimensional Tissue Engineering: Model to Study Effect of Mineral on Dentin Microenvironment, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine;
- Evan Shipp, The Effects of Scaffold Topography on HNSCC Cellular Motility, University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry;
- Corey Shook, Specific Effects of Endodontic Inflammation on the Rat Aorta, University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Dentistry;
- Heidi Marie Snider, OX40 Ligand Mediates Susceptibility to Chronic Visceral Leishmaniasis, The Ohio State University, College of Dentistry;
- Cheyanne E. Warren, Multiple Receptors Mediate Murine Macrophage Responses to Porphyromonas Gingivalis DNA Challenge, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry;
- Krista Weimerskirch, Biofilm Quantification of S. Mutans Under Various Growth Conditions, Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine;
- Amatey Wensel, Osterix is Vital for Cementum Formation, Texas A & M Health Science Center, Baylor College of Dentistry;
- Anne Ziegler, Erythropoietin Couples Hermatopoiesis with Bone Formation, University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
At press time, the University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery had not submitted the name of their student. Loma Linda School of Dentistry indicated that they would not be participating in the 2010 program.
For the second year, DENTSPLY International has partnered with the American Dental Hygienists’ Association on their new program aimed at promoting dental hygiene research. The DENTSPLY/ADHA Graduate Student Research Award Program sponsors one graduate level dental hygiene student from a U.S. dental hygiene program offering a Masters of Science degree in dental hygiene to present their research at the ADA annual session. This year's winner is Amy Coplen, Dental Hygiene Students' Knowledge of Genetics in Dentistry: Baseline Measures, University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
International Student Clinicians
- Fabiana Pinchetti Nolasco, Effect of Smoking on Oral Bioavailability of Metronidazole, University of Dentistry of São Leopoldo Mandic, Brazil;
- Oliver Felthaus, Gene-Expression Profiles of Dental Follicle Cells After Differentiation with BMP-2, IGF and Dexamethasone, University of Regensburg, Germany;
- Stephen H. Cheong, Growth Inhibition of Oral Cells by TLR7 Agonist, Imiquimod,” Chosun University, Korea;
- Dr. Jerome Dao, Highlight of Peptides for the Functionalization of Titanium, University of Montpellier, France;
- Worakanya Buranaphatthana, Effect of Human Bite Forces amd Bitten Object Movement on Computer Aided Photogrammetric Bite Mark Analysis, Chiang Mai University, Thailand;
- Sameer D. Jain, Re-Inventing Root Canal Obturation Technique, Mahatma Ghandi Vidyamandir’s Karmaveer Bhausaheb Hiray Dental College & Hospital, Nashik, India;
- Lisa Durning, Analysis of a Novel Embryonic Stem Cell Line Exhibiting De Novo Promoter Methylation of the Metastasis Suppressor E-Cadherin, University of Manchester - School of Dentistry, United Kingdom;
- Sara Baram, Effect of Acupuncture on Postoperative Oral Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial, Aarhus University School of Dentistry, Denmark;
- David Lee, Pharmacologically relevant Doses of Zoledronate Inhibit BMP Induced Osteoinduction In Primary Human Mesenchymal Cells and Mouse Cell Lines, University of Toronto Faculty of Dentistry, Canada;
- Kuan-Lun Fu, Evaluation of Bone Density at the Potential Implant Sites Using Computed Tomography, China Medical University School of Dentistry, Taiwan;
- Hoo Swee Tiang, 3-D Digestion of Plaster Models Using Computed Tomography–A Work on the Accuracy and Validation of the Approach, National University of Singapore, Southeast Asia;
- Anil Ozyurt, Staining-Preventive Effect of Topical Fluoride Application After Vital Tooth Bleaching, Gazi University, Turkey.
At press time, Japan and South Africa had not submitted the names of their international students.
For more information about the program, contact Glynis P. Wilkins, Council on ADA Sessions, by calling toll-free, Ext. 2664 or e-mailing email@example.com.