Alliance honors five members with Spencer Awards
Stone Mountain, Ga.—The Alliance of the American Dental Association honored five of its members April 14 with the Beulah K. Spencer Award for their distinguished service.
The award recognizes active members of 10 years or less who make outstanding contributions and who exemplify outstanding leadership and volunteer spirit through excellence in service and commitment to their Alliance on the component and/or constituent level.
• Willa Hokanson, Gilette, Wy. Mrs. Hokanson serves as the Wyoming Alliance president and has coordinated collection of dental health care materials to take to her local hospital to educate patients on good dental health care.
• Signe Nicholson, Mooresville, Ind. Mrs. Nicholson has focused on strategic planning for membership and leadership for both the Indiana Alliance and the national Alliance. She also brought goody bags to dental students at the Indiana University School of Dentistry during finals week.
• Kristie Peppy, Jamestown, N.Y. Mrs. Peppy is in her second term as a national Alliance trustee, serves on the national membership council and is a founding member of the Head to Toe project. She’s also active in dental health education at schools in her community.
• Darellene Roussalis, Casper, Wy. Mrs. Roussalis was a founding member of the Wyoming Alliance and its first president. She currently serves as the organization’s treasurer.
• Jacquelyn Whetzel, Madison, Ga. Mrs. Whetzel served as president of the student spouse group at the College of Dental Medicine at Georgia Health Sciences University. She organized activities like puppet shows and bake sales to raise money for a student scholarship and served as liaison for the Georgia Alliance’s annual Student Spouse event.
Visit the Alliance of the ADA website (allianceada.org/awards.php#award1) to view a video featuring the Spencer award winners.