10 reasons to fluoridate
The ADA offered 10 Reasons to Fluoridate Public Water to participants in an Aug. 17 Capitol Hill forum on “Oral Health: Putting Teeth into the Health Care System.”
The document, 10 Reasons to Fluoridate Public Water, American Dental Association July 2012, is included among materials offered by the Alliance for Health Reform and posted the Alliance website at http://www.ada.org/sections/newsAndEvents/pdfs/article_10reasons.pdf. The printed handout distributed at the forum differs from the posted document in language but not in substance.
The 10 reasons cited in the printed handout (additional supporting information omitted here):
- Single most effective public health measure to prevent tooth decay.
- Natural fluoride is already present in all water sources, even the oceans.
- Similar to fortifying other foods and beverages.
- Prevents dental disease.
- Protects all ages against cavities.
- Safe and effective.
- Saves money.
- Recognized by more than 100 organizations.
- Availability of fluoridation continues to grow.
- Endorsed by the American Dental Association.
More fluoride information is available at ADA.org/fluoride.