ADEAGies Foundation to honor awards recipients
Golden winners: Eight honorees will receive these William J. Gies Awards March 17 at the American Dental Education Association Annual Session and Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas.
The recipients will be honored March 17 at the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas.
"This awards program represents the best in oral health and dental education, and it is an honor to recognize the dental educators and academic institutions that are making significant advances within the field," said Dr. Richard W. Valachovic, president of the ADEAGies Foundation and ADEA.
The award is named after William J. Gies, Ph.D., a Columbia University biochemistry professor and founder of its College of Dental Medicine.
In 1926, Dr. Gies published "The Gies Report, Dental Education in the United States and Canada," a landmark report that established the importance of dentistry as a healing science and an essential component of higher education in the health professions.
The award honors individuals and organizations exemplifying dedication to the highest standards of vision, innovation and achievement in dental education, research and leadership.
The 2014 honorees are:
• Dr. John Eisner, University of Buffalo School of Medicine, Outstanding Innovation-Dental Educator;
• Dr. Raul I. Garcia, Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Outstanding Vision-Dental Educator;
• Dr. Lisa A. Tedesco, Emory University James T. Laney School of Graduate Studies, Outstanding Achievement-Dental Educator;
• American Academy of Periodontology Foundation, Outstanding Achievement-Public/Private Partner;
• Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health, Outstanding Innovation-Academic Dental Institution;
• Columbia University College of Dental Medicine's Community DentCare Program, Outstanding Achievement-Academic Dental Institution;
• The Hinman Dental Society of Atlanta, Outstanding Vision-Public/Private Partner;
• Henry Schein, Inc., Outstanding Achievement-Public/Private Partner.
"Each year, I am increasingly impressed with the innovation and progress exhibited through the achievements of the William J. Gies Awards winners," said Dr. Valachovic.
The awards are presented by the ADEAGies Foundation, the philanthropic arm of ADEA. The Foundation works to enhance the public's oral health through programs that support dental education, research, leadership and recognition.
For more on information on the 2014 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition, visit adea.org.