ADA CERP (Continuing Education Recognition Program)
Recognizing the need to offer its members and the dental community a way to select continuing dental education (CE) with confidence and to promote the continuous improvement of CE, the American Dental Association Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP) was established in 1993.
Through an application and review process, the ADA CERP evaluates and recognizes institutions and organizations that provide continuing dental education. The program assists regulatory agencies and organizations that have CE requirements to identify CE providers whose activities are acceptable for credit. However, ADA CERP does not approve the specific courses or the credit hours that recognized providers offer. Nor does ADA CERP maintain a registry of CE credits. It is the responsibility of the CE provider to maintain records of participants in its educational activities. It is the responsibility of participants to retain documentation verifying participation in CE activities and to submit copies to their individual licensing boards as required.
Providers of continuing dental education are evaluated in 14 aspects of CE program quality by the ADA CERP. Only providers that can meet ADA CERP standards and procedures are granted approval and are authorized to use the ADA CERP logo and recognition statement. Once approved, providers are held accountable for maintaining those same high standards through periodic reevaluation.
ADA CERP is administrated by a standing committee of the Council on Dental Education and Licensure that includes representatives of the American Dental Association, American Association of Dental Boards, American Society of Constituent Dental Executives, American Dental Education Association, and organizations representing the recognized dental specialties.
Organizations interested in applying for ADA CERP recognition are encouraged to read the information on the ADA CERP Recognition Standards and Procedures process.
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Winter 2013/2014 (HTML)
- 2013 Annual Report Released (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Meeting Workshop for CE Providers (PDF)
Call for Comments
- ADA CERP Call for Comments (May 2013) (PDF)
- Proposed Revisions to CERP Eligibility Criteria - Comment Period Extended (October 2011) (PDF)
- FAQs on Scientific Content in CE (May 2011) (PDF)
- New Criteria Related to Scientific Content in CE (February 2011) (PDF)
- New Criteria for Self-Instructional Activites (August 2010) (PDF)
- Standard Revisions (February 2010)
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Spring/Summer 2013 (HTML)
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Fall 2012 (PDF)
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Spring 2012 (PDF)
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Fall 2011 (PDF)
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Spring 2011 (PDF)
- ADA CERP Provider Newsletter Summer 2010 (PDF)
American Dental Association
211 E Chicago Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611-2678
ADA Members: call the toll-free number, ext. 2869