The ADA works closely with state and local dental societies to promote the fluoridation of municipal water supplies at recommended levels. The ADA also supports capacity-building grants to help communities establish, upgrade, and maintain an effective public water fluoridation infrastructure.
Fluoridation at 75
- July 7, 2020—Letter (PDF) Chief Dental Officers' Statement of Support of Community Water Fluoridation Commemorating the 75th Anniversary
- August 19, 2019—ADA Statement on Study in JAMA Pediatrics
- July 10, 2017—Letters: Promoting Fluoridation
- December 22, 2015—Letter (PDF) commending the United States Surgeon General for issuing a statement commemorating the 70th anniversary of community water fluoridation.
- November 2, 2015—Coalition letter (PDF) urging members of Congress to cosponsor H. Res. 416, which commemorates the 70th anniversary of community water fluoridation and the public health benefits associated with its use.
- September 24, 2015—Letter (PDF) commending Rep. Mike Simpson for introducing H. Res. 416, which commemorates the 70th anniversary of community water fluoridation and the public health benefits associated with its use.
- August 22, 2014—Letter (PDF) urging members of Congress to reflect on the public health benefits of community water fluoridation as the practice nears its 70th anniversary.
Letters and Testimony reflect the Association's position(s) on specific bills, regulations, and other policy issues, and are based on the Fluoridation Policies adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
- November 19, 2019—Comments (PDF) on the National Toxicology Program's (NTP) Draft Monograph on the Systematic Review of Fluoride Exposure and Neurodevelopmental and Cognitive Health Effects.
- October 11, 2018—Comments (PDF) in response to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) proposed guidance for the operational control range for optimal fluoride concentration in municipal water systems.
- February 27, 2017—News Release on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) decision to deny a petition to ban the fluoridation of community water supplies.
- February 27, 2017—Letter (PDF) commending the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for its due diligence in reviewing (and denying) a petition to ban the fluoridation of community water supplies.
- January 15, 2016—Comments (PDF) in response to a National Toxicology Program (NTP) request for information about whether fluoride is somehow associated with cancer.
Action for Dental Health
Action for Dental Health is the ADA's nationwide, community-based movement aimed at ending the dental health crisis in America.
- Explore the Action for Dental Health movement.
- View initiatives by state.
Dental Society Resources
The ADA offers resources to help dental societies establish and maintain municipal water fluoridation programs.
For additional information or to request assistance with issues related to community water fluoridation, please contact the Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention at 312.440.2862 or email@example.com.
Prepared by: Division of Government and Public Affairs
Last Updated: March 3, 2017