Tell Your Representative to Oppose a Medicare Part B Dental Benefit
Answers to frequently asked questions about efforts to include a dental benefit in the Medicare program.
The ADA is working with lawmakers, regulators, and others to help older adults achieve optimal oral health, including the most vulnerable participants in the Medicare program.
Policies and Statements
View the ADA's official policies on Medicare and the oral health of older adults.
- September 10, 2021—Letter (PDF) to the House Energy and Commerce Committee on the ADA's Medicare dental benefit position.
- September 9, 2021—Letter (PDF) to the House Ways and Means Committee on the ADA's Medicare dental benefit position.
- September 8, 2021—Coalition Letter (PDF) to Congressional leadership from the state dental associations on the Medicare dental benefit.
- September 1, 2021—Coalition Letter (PDF) to congressional leaders expressing concerns about using Medicare Part B for dental benefits.
- September 1, 2021—Letter (PDF) urging Congress to prioritize offering a stand-alone dental benefit for the most financially vulnerable seniors when considering options to expand the Medicare program.
- August 12, 2021—Letter (PDF) urging members of the House and Senate to consider several recommendations for creating a Medicare dental benefit with a robust provider network.
- September 17, 2021—Coalition Letter (PDF) to CMS regarding oral pathology and an ongoing issue related to the collection of samples from the mouth or jaw for the purpose of diagnostic testing.
- September 8, 2021—Letter (PDF) to the new CMS Chief Dental Officer, Dr. Chalmers, that outlines the ADA’s priorities for CMS and requests a meeting with Dr. Chalmers.
- August 31, 2021—Letter (PDF) urging CMS to consider several practical ways to administer a potential Medicare dental benefit as a stand-alone option.
- August 12, 2021—Letter (PDF) urging the CMS to consider several practical ways to administer a potential Medicare dental benefit with a robust dental network.
Prepared by: Government and Public Affairs
Last Updated: September 15, 2021