Safety Net Programs
Mending America’s tattered dental safety net requires having an adequate (and sufficiently funded) dental workforce—located where it is needed and with the necessary facilities and equipment to carry out its mission. That is why the ADA is working with lawmakers, public health leaders, and others to protect a number of longstanding programs that provide essential dental care and dental-related services to our most vulnerable citizens.
The high-priority programs the ADA is seeking to protect, improve, and (in some cases) expand include, among others:
- Health Centers (FAQ)
- Public Health Service Dental Corps (incl. the Indian Health Service)
- National Health Service Corps dental programs
- Title VII General, Pediatric, and Public Health Dental Residency Programs
- Graduate Medical Education programs
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Dental Programs
- Dental student loan forgiveness and service payback programs
The ADA is also working with state dental societies, state governments, higher education leaders, charitable organizations, and the private sector to bring Community Dental Health Coordinators (CDHCs) to dentally underserved communities throughout the country.
The Association's priorities are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) (Members Only) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
Letters and Testimony
- December 20, 2019— Comments (PDF) on the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) PreventionX Request for Information (RFI), including recommendations to increase the use of CDHC's
- November 26, 2019— Comments (PDF) urging the House Ways and Means Committee Rural and Under Served Communities Task Force to support H.R. 996, the Dental Loan Repayment Assistance Act
- November 15, 2019— Letter (PDF) to Congressman Tony Cárdenas in support of H.R. 4678, the Oral Health Literacy and Awareness Act
- October 9, 2019— Comments (PDF) to the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) in response to a Request for Information (RFI) on rural health care, including dental Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs)
- June 12, 2019 — Letter (PDF) to the House Energy and Commerce Committee on Community Health Centers, Teaching Health Centers, and the National Health Service Corps
- February 1, 2019 — Letter (PDF) to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions on their hearing and legislation on health center and providers in under-served communities
Prepared by: Division of Government and Public Affairs
Last Updated: January 3, 2020