The ADA is working with policy makers, public health leaders, and others to help prevent oral cancer, pharyngeal cancer, and other oral diseases associated with tobacco use. The Association is especially concerned about the oral health impact of the latest generation of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, e-cigarette cartridges, snus, dissolvable tobacco, tobacco gels, and more.
Policies and Positions
- May 16, 2019 — Coalition Letter (PDF) expressing support for H.R. 2339, the Reversing the Youth Tobacco epidemic Act of 2019.
- May 23, 2019 — Letter (PDF) expressing support for S. 1541, the Tobacco-Free Youth Act which would increase the legal age to purchase tobacco products from 18 to 21 years of age.
- June 7, 2019 — Coalition Letter (PDF) ODC expressing support for S. 1541, the Tobacco-Free Youth Act, organizations signed on to the letter
- May 17, 2017—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to reconsider delaying enforcement of the tobacco product deeming rule.
- February 26, 2016—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be more diligent about requiring tobacco companies to obtain approval before introducing new tobacco products to market (i.e., premarket review).
The Association's positions are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) (Members Only) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
Related stories from the dental profession's most widely read news source, ADA News.
- FDA vows to strengthen compliance for electronic nicotine products, calls for banning menthol in cigarettes, cigars (ADA News 11/15/18)
- ADA, others ask Congress to reject tobacco policy riders (ADA News 9/13/18)
- Cohort completes program on tobacco cessation at WVU School of Dentistry (ADA News 8/3/18)
- ADA asks FDA to maintain rule regulating premium cigars (ADA News 7/30/18)
- Summit focuses on oral health effects of smokeless tobacco (ADA News 7/20/18)
- Oral health effects of tobacco focus of webinar (ADA News 7/16/18)
- Tobacco cessation goal of CDC Tips campaign, webinar (ADA News 7/9/18)
- Policies aim to limit youth use of tobacco and nicotine products (ADA News 6/13/18)
- Science on oral health effects of tobacco products at Bethesda, Maryland conference(ADA News 4/16/18)
- Oral cancers highlighted for April awareness (ADA News 3/19/18)
- Report: E-cigarette use among teens may raise risk of smoking (ADA News 1/29/18)
- Dentists can play key role in helping patients quit smoking (ADA News 11/14/17)
- Helping patients quit tobacco (ADA News 10/24/17)
- FDA finalizes guidance on the prohibition of distributing free samples of tobacco products (ADA News 10/12/17)
- FDA announces new tobacco plan, postpones deeming rule(ADA News 7/28/17)
- ADA, others urge HHS to ensure deeming rule is implemented (ADA News 5/22/17)
- ADA supports bill to make Veterans’ facilities smoke-free (ADA News 5/12/17)
- FDA delays enforcement of 'deeming rule' (ADA News 5/4/17)
- 2017 spending bill includes increases for dental research, education (ADA News 5/2/17)
- ADA, others ask Congress to reject tobacco policy riders, keep CDC funding (ADA News 4/11/17)
- ADA, others urge Congress to oppose tobacco bill (ADA News 3/31/17)
- FDA issues warning letters to tobacco manufacturers (ADA News 12/9/16)
- ADA joins FDA stakeholder meeting (ADA News 12/7/16)
- FDA issues final rule on all tobacco products (ADA News 5/5/16)
- NIDCR awards $2 million in e-cigarette research grants (ADA News 3/15/16)
- ADA 'concerned' tobacco companies introducing products without proper review (ADA News 3/4/16)
- ADA comments on 'modified risk' tobacco products (ADA News 12/5/14)
Prepared by: Division of Government and Public Affairs
Last Updated: June 10, 2019