Workplace Health & Safety
Dentists have a vested interest in maintaining safe and healthful office environment for themselves, their employees and their patients. This includes preventing exposure to infectious agents, waste anesthetic gas, allergens, damaging noise, ionizing radiation, and other hazards.
The ADA provides scientific evidence, information, and commentary to ensure workplace health and safety regulations are rooted in sound science and practical for small dental practices to administer. The Association also provides resources to help dentists identify workplace hazards and understand how to prevent them.
Letters and Testimony
- March 17, 2020—Coalition Letter (PDF) to Senate Leadership providing comments on H.R. 6201 the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
- March 12, 2020—Letter (PDF) to Congress asking that dentists and their patients be included in Congressional proposals on the COVID-19 crisis, especially proposals regarding personal protective equipment (PPE).
- October 28, 2015—Comments (PDF) on an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) proposed rule to clarify an employer’s obligation to record and maintain accurate records of work-related injuries and illnesses.
- October 16, 2015—Comments (PDF) on an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) proposed rule to lower occupational exposure to beryllium and beryllium compounds.
- June 8, 2012—Letter (PDF) addressing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) draft recommendations for identification of persons with the hepatitis C virus (HCV).
- August 3, 2010—Letter (PDF) responding to OSHA’s request for information about the potential need for a comprehensive infection control standard for health care settings.
Letters and Testimony reflect the Association's position(s) on specific bills, regulations, and other policy issues, and are based on the major policies and positions (PDF) (Members Only) adopted by the ADA House of Delegates.
Health and Safety Topics
Prepared by: Division of Government and Public Affairs
Last Updated: May 19, 2017