How are you currently utilizing the Member Value Toolkit in your promotion of Half-Year Dues?
PDA used text from the ADA toolkit to create custom marketing pieces for the following target groups of non-members:
Group One: 2013-2015 dental school graduate or advanced training program participant
- Email – Subject line “Dentists say these are their top three challenges” – 40 percent open rate
- Direct Mail Letter – topics included: custom pro-rated dues quote, managing student debt (both Laurel Road and SoFi options were listed), PDA Placement Service, PDA Practice Management webinars, networking opportunities, PDA’s soon to be available online CE software, PDA’s efforts with Assignment of Benefits legislation.
Group Two: Newer dentist - 2003-2012 graduate or advanced training program
- Email – Subject line “Insurance Coding Questions” – 37 percent open rate
- Letter – topics included: custom pro-rated dues quote, ADA’s Third Party Payer Concierge, PDA’s efforts with Assignment of Benefits legislation, PDA’s efforts to monitor the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry, networking opportunities, and PDA’s soon to be available online CE software
Group Three: Established dentist
- Subject line: PDA tried two different subject lines
- “Staying Current on Clinical”
- “Dentists say these are their top three challenges” – this subject line received a greater open rate (39 percent vs. 26 percent) so the software sent the majority of the email to established dentists were sent with this subject line.
- Direct Mail Letter – topics included: custom pro-rated dues quote, ADA clinical resources, PDA’s efforts with Assignment of Benefits legislation, PDA’s efforts to monitor the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry, PDA’s soon to be available online CE software, PDA’s discounted dental supply website and the ADA credentialing service.
What have your successes or challenges been so far?
Email is a great tool because it reports if the message was delivered, opened and read. The downside is that it is difficult to maintain and acquire valid email addresses for non-members. Even if we receive the non-member’s email address because they were previously a member, contacted PDA or attended a past event and shared their email address it may not be an email that they routinely check.
Are there any additional tactics or strategies you have used?
We also sent a postcard via US mail and utilized a series of social media posts using content from ADA’s toolkit.
What is your plan for follow-up to the individuals you have targeted through your marketing efforts?
We are sending a follow-up email to non-members from the initial target groups who opened the initial emails. The content will be further condensed and the “Join Now” button will be moved to the top of the email. The follow-up email will also emphasize the need to take action now!
Did you find the Member Value Toolkit easy to use?
Yes, it was very easy to use.The content was reflected benefits that many members value.
Would you like to share any tips to other states planning to utilize the Member Value Toolkit?
The information provided in ADA’s Member Value Toolkit is a great way to communicate the value of tripartite membership. If you pair this information with facts that you know about the needs and concerns of your non-members you are on the way to an effective campaign.
We'd love to share your successes! Contact us to have your society featured in our next Society Spotlight.