Help Puerto Rico
The dental community is joining together to help dentists and the public in Puerto Rico. Less than 50 of the 1,200 dentists in Puerto Rico are operating half days to serve the 3.4 million residents of the island. The information on this page provides options for those who wish to help.
The ADA Foundation’s Emergency Disaster Grants provide up to $2,000 in immediate financial assistance to dentists who are victims of a disaster to help with emergency personal needs such as food, clothing, shelter, bottled water, emergency lodging, and medications. Additionally, the ADA Foundation provides Emergency Disaster Grants of up to $10,000 for 501(c)(3) organizations providing needed dental care in communities that have experienced a disaster.
Colegio de Cirujanos Dentistas de Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico’s dental association is collecting monetary donations and supplies to help in Puerto Rico’s recovery. Half of the funds they raise will be used to help dentists who lost their homes and practices, while the other half will be used to help provide dental care to people in need across the island. Monetary donations are preferred. Organizations or individuals that wish to donate money or supplies may send them via UPS or Priority Mail to the following address and contact:
Mr. Gilberto Rios, Executive Director CCDPR
200 Manuel Domenech St.
San Juan, PR 00918
DONATE (via PayPal)
Items needed include:
- For dentists and patients (general public): bottled water, nonperishable fruit juices, batteries (primarily D and double A), adult diapers (for the elderly), baby diapers, canned food items, basic toiletries, toilet paper, paper towels, moist towels, hand sanitizer (non-soap form), insect repellent, and generators.
- For the general public in shelters and devastated towns: oral health kits including mouth wash (there is no running water in the majority of the affected areas and mouth wash is the next best alternative), tooth paste, and dental floss.
- For dental procedures:oral examination supplies & personal protection gear: nitrile exam gloves (small, medium and large), disposable gowns, tongue depressors, and disposable masks.
University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine
The UPR will be receiving donations to support three relief efforts as follows: 1) Dental students and staff who lost their home or personal belongings, 2) clinic materials, and 3) outreach efforts to assist the affected community. Monetary donations are preferred in order to obtain the materials listed below. Organizations or individuals that wish to donate money or supplies should send items via UPS or Priority Mail to the following address and contact:
Dr. Ana N. López, Dean
School of Dental Medicine UPR
Ofic # A-103,A-104,A-150
Edif. Principal RCM
Guillermo Arbona Paseo Dr. Celso Barbosa
Rio Piedras, PR 00935
Make checks payable to: UPR School of Medicine
Items needed include:
- For dental students: monetary relief for those who lost home and belongings, solar cell phone chargers, solar battery operated light bulbs, battery operated light bulbs, head lights, hand sanitizer, and personal hygiene products.
- For patients: anesthetic carpules (with and without epinephrine), needles (short and long), exam gloves, utility nitrile gloves, head covers, disposable gowns and masks, dental restorative materials, fluoride varnish, hand sanitizers, micro stone Type III, and alginate. Also needed are basic medications to treat diarrhea and gastroenteritis, as well as antibiotics, triple antibiotics, insulin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen.