Councils, Commissions and Committees
There are 10 councils of the Association. Most councils are composed of one member from each of the 17 trustee districts of the Association and one new dentist member recommended by the New Dentist Committee and nominated by the ADA Board of Trustees. All members of councils must be active, life or retired members in good standing of the Association. Most councils meet twice a year, either at the ADA Headquarters Office in Chicago or the Washington D.C. office.
The Advisory Committee on Annual Meetings is under the oversight of the Board of Trustees and is charged with conducting the annual meetings of the American Dental Association. The American Dental Political Action Committee is a voluntary non-profit unincorporated committee of dentists and others. The New Dentist Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Trustees charged with advising the Board on issues affecting new dentists. This committee is composed of one member from each of the 17 ADA trustee districts.
2020-2021 Council-Commission-ADPAC Listing (PDF) (ADA Member login required)
- Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention
- Council on Communications
- Council on Dental Benefit Programs
- Council on Dental Education and Licensure
- Council on Dental Practice
- Council on Ethics, Bylaws and Judicial Affairs
- Council on Government Affairs
- Council on Membership
- Council on Members Insurance and Retirement Programs
- Council on Scientific Affairs
- Advisory Committee on Annual Meetings
- American Dental Political Action Committee
- New Dentist Committee
There are four commissions of the Association: the Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition, the Commission on Dental Accreditation, the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations and the National Commission on Recognition of Dental Specialties and Certifying Boards.
- Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition
- Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations
- National Commission on Recognition of Dental Specialties and Certifying Boards