Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Partnerships and Commissions
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

Journals available for members online

November 04, 2013

By Kimber Solana, ADA News staff

ADA members can access full-text articles online, giving them instant access to 284 journals through the new ADA Library & Archives website, which launched in August.

The online access to journal articles stemmed from the Library changes approved by the ADA House of Delegates in October 2012 to explore the use of online catalogs and other digital services in place of hard copy materials.

An ADA Library Task Force was created and charged with ensuring that the resources for evidence-based dentistry are maintained as a member benefit, while updating it for the 21st century.

“It was felt that ADA member dentists would need to have the capability of remote access potential to all the resources through using the Library website,” said Dr. Joseph Hagenbruch, ADA 8th District trustee and chair of the ADA Library Task Force.

Previously, with most circumstances, members had to call or email the Library for journal articles. Library staff would then find the article and send it via mail. The process involved waiting until the Library was open and meant no weekend access, said Jeffrey Gartman, ADA Library & Archives interim director.

“Immediate access will be a giant time-saver,” he said. “Members can do this any time, including weekends.”

Of journals available online, 95 percent are strictly dental journals. The other 5 percent have medical-dental crossover.

Most articles in the collection were published in the past five years. However, some publishers may allow access for older articles.

Members can search for the articles through EbscoHost. Reference librarians can help members who don't have experience searching databases.

Due to some license restrictions, members would also need to contact the Library to access some premium websites such as Wiley Online, Science Direct and Quintessence Publications. Members can view tables of contents and article abstracts from these premium sites, and Library staff can immediately send PDF copies of the article via email.

Visit the ADA Library & Archives website.