Proposed dental standards and technical reports available for review, comment
December 08, 2014
The ADA Standards committees seek professionals from all areas of interest to contribute their expertise on eight new draft standards approved for circulation, review and comment.
The ADA has played a key role in the development of standards since 1928 and is an American National Standards Institute accredited standards developer.
The projects follow:
- Proposed ADA Technical Report No. 1075 for Electronic Orthodontic Dental Laboratory Prescriptions will present the types of data necessary and format for an electronic dental laboratory order form for orthodontic products and its electronic transmission from the orthodontic provider to the outsourced dental laboratory with the necessary security and interoperability.
- Proposed ANSI/ADA Standard No. 1079 for Electronic Attachments for Dental Claim will describe content for electronic claims attachments submitted to third-party payers. Third-party payers may require submission of supporting documentation (e.g., radiographs, narratives, measurements, periodontal charts) before claims can be adjudicated.
- Proposed Revision of ADA Technical Report No. 1051 for Implementation Requirements for DICOM in Institutional Dentistry will discuss the use of Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine as the standard means for interoperable exchange of all digital dental images in the institutional setting. Interoperability in the institutional setting includes the ability to order, acquire, share and archive DICOM radiographic and photographic images. This report provides typical-use cases and offers DICOM services to solve these interoperability scenarios.
- Proposed ADA Technical Report No. 1081 for Track and Trace for Implantable Devices and Biologics will present information on the Food and Drug Administration's newly-issued rule to establish a system to adequately identify implantable devices from distribution through use. The rule requires the labels of medical devices to include a unique device identifier and submission of the product information to the FDA. This report provides an explanation of the rule and its implementation in a dental practice.
- Proposed ANSI/ADA Standard No. 25 Dental Gypsum Products will be an identical adoption of ISO 6873:2013 Dentistry - Gypsum products and will revise and replace the current ANSI/ADA Standard No. 25:2000 (R2010). The revision gives a classification of, and specifies requirements for, gypsum products used for dental purposes such as making oral impressions, molds, casts, dies or model bases and mounting models. It specifies the test methods to be employed to determine compliance with these requirements and includes requirements for the labeling of packaging and for adequate instructions to accompany each package.
- Proposed ANSI/ADA Standard No. 113 Periodontal Curettes, Dental Scalers and Excavators will be a revision of the current ANSI/ADA Standard No. 113:2008 of the same name to include ISO 13397-2:2005 Amendment 1:2012 on color coding. This standard specifies the general material, performance, and dimensional requirements for periodontal curettes, dental scalers and excavators.
- Proposed ANSI/ADA Standard No. 126 Casting Investments and Refractory Die Materials will revise and replace the current ANSI/ADA 126:2009 of the same name. This standard is applicable to dental casting, brazing and refractory investments and refractory die materials, regardless of the nature of the binding system or the particular application. This standard classifies investments into types according to their intended use and classes according to the burn-out procedure recommended by the manufacturer. This standard specifies requirements for the essential physical and mechanical properties of the materials and the test methods used to determine them. This revision will incorporate International Organization for Standardization 15912:2006 Amendment 1:2011 on requirement and test method for adequacy of expansion of Type 1 and Type 2 materials.
- Proposed ANSI/ADA Standard No. 135 Denture Adhesives will be an identical adoption of ISO 10873:2010 Dentistry — Denture Adhesives. This standard classifies denture adhesives used by wearers of removable dentures and specifies requirements, test methods and instructions to be supplied for the use of such products. This standard is applicable to denture adhesives for use by the public and excludes the dental lining materials prescribed or applied by dental professionals.
For copies of the draft specifications, call the ADA toll-free number, ext. 2506, or send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org
. To learn more about standards, visit ADA.org/dentalstandards