Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Partnerships and Commissions
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

Since August, members downloaded 2,400 journal articles from ADA Library

March 17, 2014

Since the launch of the ADA Library & Archives website in August 2013, more ADA members are accessing and downloading more journal articles.

From August 2013 through February 2014, the website received more than 2,600 visitors who conducted 3,056 searches and ultimately downloaded 2,407 articles, according to data provided by the ADA Library & Archives.

In comparison, 95 members requested 614 articles for the entire year of 2012.

The increase in Library resource use has been a "very pleasant prediction coming true," said Dr. Joseph Hagenbruch, ADA 8th District trustee and chair of the ADA Library Task Force.

"Several years previous to our online electronic journal access, many members expressed their desire to be able to access the journal articles online at their convenience rather than being stuck waiting for open library hours," he said.

Prior to the launch of the website, member dentists had to wait until the Library was open—usually from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, before they could access the articles via library staff scanning and sending the articles in PDF format.

"Now, member dentists can access the articles that they want any time of day and even on the weekends," Dr. Hagenbruch said.

ADA members can access full-text articles online with instant access to 284 journals through the ADA Library & Archives website. About 95 percent are strictly dental journals. The other 5 percent have medical-dental crossover. This includes in-house access to the New England Journal of Medicine articles going all the way back to 1812.

In the second quarter, the Library will add another six to eight full-text journals, including Dental Clinics of North America and the Journal of Periodontology, as well as access to electronic books, said Jeffrey Gartman, ADA Library & Archives director.

The increased online access and additional benefits are part of the Library Transition Plan, which was submitted to the ADA House of Delegates during the 2013 Annual Session in New Orleans in response to Resolution 159H-2012.

An ADA Library Task Force was created and charged with ensuring that the resources for evidence-based dentistry are maintained as a member benefit, while updating the library for the 21st century.

Through the website, members can search for articles through EbscoHost. Reference librarians can help members who don't have experience searching databases.

"We are obviously delighted that ADA member dentists are regularly using this new resource and we hope to see the number of uses go up as individuals become more familiar with the system," Dr. Hagenbruch said.

To access the ADA Library & Archives online, visit the website.