Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Partnerships and Commissions
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

New benefit gives ADA members access to UIC Library

May 18, 2015

By Kimber Solana

Dr. Fair
Dr. Fair
The ADA Library & Archives has reached an agreement with the University of Illinois at Chicago to allow ADA members to access and use the UIC Library of the Health Sciences.

The access, which began May 1, give members who live in or are visiting the Chicago area the opportunity for additional library services, especially on weekends and evenings.

“Many members enjoy the ability to physically access a library and browse its available resources. The ADA Library and Archives is open Monday through Friday while many members are working,” said Dr. Hal Fair, ADA 16th District trustee and chair of the ADA Library & Archives advisory board. “Our partnership with UIC affords our members the opportunity to visit a library during weekend and evening hours.

“In addition, the UIC library has an enviable series of online databases available for our members to access as well as the ability to check-out current textbooks that may be of interest.” 
To access the UIC Health Sciences library, ADA members will be asked to have their member card with them at all times. The first time a member visits the facility, they will be asked to report to the front patron desk and fill out a library patron information form. This will only be done once. After that, the member’s ADA member card will, in essence, become their UIC library card.

Once the library patron information form is filled out, ADA members will have access to:

The entire book collection — medical as well as dental — including the online catalog, browsing the shelves and the checking out of books. Members will also be able to use the eBook collection.

The UIC Database Collection which can only be accessed within the UIC library itself.

The entire medical and dental journal collection, including the use of the online catalog and the eJournal collection.

The expertise of the UIC library staff and liaison librarians in answering questions.

ADA Library & Archives staff will also continue to offer regular services to ADA members on the days when the Association is open. ADA members can access full-text articles online with instant access to over 290 journals through the ADA Library & Archives website. About 95 percent are strictly dental journals. The other 5 percent have medical-dental crossover.

However, UIC subscribes to several thousand journal titles both in print and digital formats, including publications that UIC owns.

“The Library of the Health Sciences at UIC also has a very robust series of online databases such as Lexus-Nexus, OVID full-text and Dental Education in Video,” said Jeffry Gartman, ADA Library & Archives senior librarian.

The partnership with UIC is part of the Library Transition Plan, which was approved by the ADA House of Delegates during the 2013 annual meeting in New Orleans.

The negotiations for this service were completed when a memorandum of understanding was signed with UIC in June 2014. Both parties completed final discussions and approvals this spring.

For more information on the UIC Library of the Health Sciences, visit For more information on the ADA Library & Archives, visit