Track your coordinates to fun dental team-building at ADA 2017
June 13, 2017
— On your mark. Get set. Go.
A new team-building continuing education course at ADA 2017 – America's Dental Meeting offers dentists and members of their teams to bond during an experiential learning opportunity.
In the three-hour course, GeoTrek Team Building for the Dental Team (5113), teams will receive maps, clues and several on-the-go challenges. The dental team will need to work together to develop a strategy to locate the team's caches and achieve team goals. Set in Centennial Park in downtown Atlanta, teams will learn to use GPS units. Rebecca Tilley, managing director of Adventure Associates, will lead the course, which will be Thursday, Oct. 19 from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. A per-participant registration fee is required for anyone taking the course.
"GeoTrek Team Building is based on the sport of geo-caching which combines technology with some adventure and getting 'out of the box' type of education," said Dr. Douglas Wyckoff, ADA 2017 CE chair. "Participants will be out of the four walls of the classroom, which will bring the team-building concept into play. We are excited to offer this first-time opportunity to get continuing education in a different manner in which everyone is used to always getting."
Other educational programs at ADA 2017 designed to strengthen the team bond include six courses selected by the ADA's Council on Dental Practice to be featured as the team-building track. Combined, the six courses offer 14.5 hours of free CE. Courses in the 2017 CDP team-building track include:
- Understanding Dental Benefits, the CDT Code, and More (5316), Oct. 19, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Drs. Christopher Bulnes and Steven Snyder, created in partnership with the ADA Council on Dental Benefit Programs.
- Stairway to Dental Heaven (5323), Oct. 19, 2-5 p.m., Dr. Mark Hyman.
- There's Nothing Illegal About Dentists Billing Medical Plans (6313), Oct. 20, 8-11 a.m., Dr. Olya Zahrebelny.
- Everything You Need to Know to Start E-Prescribing (6802), Oct. 20, 2:30-4 p.m., Drs. Craig Ratner and Kenneth Aschheim, created in partnership with the Council on Dental Practice.
- Fitness and Function in Dentistry (7500), Oct. 21, 9:45-10:45 a.m., physical therapists Timothy Caruso and David Pleva.
- Charismatic Dentistry: Making Your Practice Magnetic (7318), Oct. 21, 2-5 p.m., New and Emerging Speaker Kendall Norton.
Along with the dental team track courses above, there are CE courses for dental assistants and dental hygienists. For more information, visit ADA.org/en/meeting/continuing-education/dental-team
"Special thought went into presenting programs with track options," Dr. Wyckoff said. "This gives registrants from certain areas of dentistry to focus on their specialty, should that be dental hygiene, dental assisting, dental sleep medicine, hot topics, Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention or the entire dental team-building track. We are offering many facets of dental education."
Registration for ADA 2017 is open. To learn more about the ADA annual meeting, which runs Oct. 19-23 in Atlanta, or to register, visit ADA.org/meeting