Council on Scientific Affairs and Science Institute offer variety at ADA 2017
May 04, 2017
— The ADA Science Institute Stage, presented by the ADA Council on Scientific Affairs and the Science Institute, will once again offer continuing education courses and hands-on clinical workshops during ADA 2017 – America's Dental Meeting in Atlanta in October.
The stage will host 11 CE courses at ADA 2017. The council will also hold the ADA Clinical Evaluator (ACE) Panel Reception and eight Professional Product Review workshops on State-of-the-Art Surface Treatments for Luting All-Ceramic Restorations. The workshops are scheduled for:
- Oct. 19, 9:30-10:30 a.m. (5207), 11:30-12:30 p.m. (5232), 2-3 p.m. (5223), 4-5 p.m. (5233).
- Oct. 20, 8-9 a.m. (6214), 10-11 a.m. (6235), 1-2 p.m. (6230), 3-4 p.m. (6236).
"I'm looking forward to our hands-on workshop on ceramic bonding techniques, offered in different sessions on Thursday and Friday," said Dr. Paul Eleazer, vice chair of the Council on Scientific Affairs. "It's the perfect opportunity for new dentists who are stepping out on their own to get unbiased information on the best techniques for ceramic bonding and to gain the knowledge, tools and confidence to make the best decisions for their patients. Seasoned practitioners will find plenty of useful information as well. Last year's workshops sold out in less than a week, and we anticipate similar interest in this year's classes, given the complicated nature of ceramic bonding."
Dr. Eleazer continued: "In addition to our hands-on workshops, the Science Institute will introduce other great clinical resources in Atlanta at the Membership Center, including the newly designed Professional Product Review website, which will make it easier for members to search and find clinical tips and unbiased, scientific reviews on a variety of dental tools and products."
Meeting of minds: Dentist members from across the country gather at the first annual ACE Panel Reception at the 2016 annual meeting, where they learned about the ADA Clinical Evaluators Panel and networked with fellow opinion leaders. From left to right, Drs. Teresa Yogi, John Dominici, William Simon and Joseph DeLapa.
The ACE Panel Reception will be held on Oct. 19 from 5-6:30 p.m. at the Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center, connected to the Georgia World Congress Center, the site of the annual meeting. The ACE Panel is a network of practicing member dentists who share their experiences with various tools, techniques and products used in their dental practice, which help to inform the topics and products evaluated in the ADA Professional Product Review. The mission of the ACE Panel is to ensure that the content provided in the PPR represents the first-hand, day-to-day experiences of practicing dentists, with an average time commitment of less than five minutes a month. It is currently accepting new members.
"The ACE Panel allows member dentists to share their thoughts on common techniques and products and to help shape or contribute to publications like the PPR," said Dr. Eleazer. "We had a great turnout at last year's reception and are looking forward to celebrating our current panelists and welcoming those who are interested in joining this amazing group of dentists."
The reception is free and open to all current panelists, as well as those interested in learning more about the program. Space is limited and registration is required. Dentists can learn more about the ACE Panel or the reception by visiting ADA.org/ACE
The ADA Science Institute Stage will feature the following CE courses:
- Approaches to Caries Removal (5805), Oct. 19, 9:45-10:45 a.m., Dr. Margherita Fontana.
- Do High-power Curing Units Cure Better? Important Factors in Light Curing (5806), Oct. 19, 11 a.m.-noon, Dr. Howard Roberts.
- Rational Selection of Drugs for Our Patients (5807), Oct. 19, 1-2 p.m., Dr. S. Craig Rhodes.
- Where Does Silver Diamine Fluoride Fit in the Rubric of Nonsurgical Management of Caries? (5808), Oct. 19, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Dr. Rebecca Slayton.
- Material Selection for CAD/CAM Restorations (5809), Oct. 19, 4-5 p.m., Dr. Gaurav Joshi.
- Essential Hearing Protection for Safety, Comfort and Communication in Dental Clinics (6805), Oct. 20, 9:45-10:45 a.m., Dr. Alan Boghosian.
- Periodontal Epistemology: The Perio-Systemic Connection (6806), Oct. 20, 11 a.m.-noon, Dr. Angelo Mariotti.
- Dental Unit Waterline Safety and Safe Dental Care (6807), Oct. 20, 1-2 p.m., Dr. Fiona Collins.
- Oral Home Care in the Age of Evidence-based Dentistry (6808), Oct. 20, 3-4 p.m., Dr. Maria Geisinger.
- ADA Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation of Potentially Malignant Disorders in the Oral Cavity (7804), Oct. 21, 9:45-10:45 a.m., Dr. Mark Lingen.
- Vaping and Oral Health: What Do We Know About E-cigarettes? (7805), Oct. 21, 2-3 p.m., Dr. Jeffrey Kim.
Registration for ADA 2017 opened May 10. To learn more about the annual meeting, which runs Oct. 19-23 in Atlanta, or to register, visit ADA.org/meeting